Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turns out that my favorite guns to hunt with were borrowed except for my Savage 720 witch did`nt even match up to a Remington mod.11 of the same age I borrowed one Deer season. It was 20 ga.. Iv`e been a fair shot most of my days but that shotgun run so smoothly and it was so uncanny that it was exceptionally accurate. I had to tell my buddy when I returned it that it wouldn`t let me miss. But the my most favorite gun was offered to me for deer season when I visited a friend who lived way back in the mountains. I was young then but I remember it was a German WWII bring back semi-auto a Gewher 43 I believe with 10 rnd. mag. in 7mm. All that I have ever seen were in 8mm but I`m positive on the load of this one but I remember back at that time JC Penny sold guns and they had rack after rack of M-1 Grands and 7mm. Mauser bolt action rifles. Any way it was mounted with a red field scope and would hit a quarter every time at 250 yds. It was a nice cycling rifle and actually was very comfortable to carry thru the mountains. It was definitely a treat to hunt with that rifle, I tried for years to buy it from him but he never would sell it. Funny thing I just thought of as I was writing this is that even though though the owners of both borrowed guns lived about 500 miles apart they were brothers Never did think of that, whats the odds of something like that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine is my Ruger M77 in 30-06. I have other hunting rifles and I keep intending to hunt with them, but I don't get to hunt often enough so when I take my one trip a year, I have to take the gun I trust most.

But your story reminded me of a shogun someone let me borrow to shoot trap. I'd never shot trap before, only shot skeet once before that and much like the gun in your story, that gun would not let me miss. I think I shot 2 perfect rounds with it and missed the last shot on the 3rd round. I barely knew the guy who owned the shotgun and I tried like heck to buy it off of him but it wasn't meant to be. He didn't actually like the gun (which is why he let me borrow it) but it was a family heirloom so it wasn't going anywhere. He wouldn't even adopt me and leave it to me in his will.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,079 Posts
bolt action Carl Gustaf Swarovski 6x32. 300 Winchester mag. deer.
tikka varmint 223. small game.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My favorite large game hunting rifle for the last three or four decades has been my Remington model 600 in 308 Win. Within my seventy five or so civilian rifles it is by far the handiest rifle to carry in the woods of Vt., that I own. It is short, light and has all the power I need for anything that walks here in Vt. The little rifle will shoot groups the size of a nickel at 100 yrds from a rest using my handloads with Sierra Gamekings and IMR 4895.
I started my hunting career with a Win. 94 in 30-30. I traded that for a brand new Remington 788 in 30-30 which was magazine fed so I could use spitzer Gamekings in my 30-30. I liked that rifle. It was very accurate but it was stolen in the early 80s. That's when I got my hands on a Rem. 600 and haven't looked back since. As a matter of fact, since then I have picked up another 600 but in 350 Rem Mag. I suppose if I ever get a Moose permit I would take the 350 on the hunt but my 600 in 308 still stands as my favorite rifle. The 350 kicks like a mule!
My favorite varmint rifle is a Remington 700 Varminter (heavy 5.5 contour barrel) in 22-250. This rifle has taken hundreds of Woodchucks over the last 40 or so years. I shot that rifle so much that I had to have the barrel set back to renew the lead,
My favorite shotgun is my Ithica model 37 in 16 ga.. That shotgun has harvested just about any small game that lives in this state. From Geese and Ducks to Partridge and Woodcock, rabbits, squirrels, you name it. I love this shotgun because it's bottom eject. For a lefty like me, that's a big advantage.
So there you have it. My picks for my favorite hunting guns.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you mean my 23 most favorite hunting rifles? I never can pick just one of anything, guitars, my vintage sports cars or rifles or handguns. My standard response to such questions has always been "the one I'm hunting with, playing or driving right now". I am a fickle old man!!!

For a lot of years, a dozen or more, it was a Shiloh Sharps, Montana Roughrider in 45-90 but that was 20 years ago. I've used a Shiloh #1 Sporter in 40-70, '86 Winchesters in 45-70, 40-82 and 33 Winchester, Several Mauser, pre-war Sporters in various vintage cartridges, 9 X 71 Peterlongo, 9 X 57 and of course 8 X 57 and there's a Wilhelm Brenneke, '98 Mauser in 7 X 64 Brenneke waiting to be blooded. A couple Mannlicher/Schoenauers, a 1903 and a 1908, a few drillings chambered in unheard of cartridges and three double rifles, one in 11.15 X 60R, a Meffert, O/U in 8 X 60R and an E.M. Reilly in 500 BPE. There's a Vierordt double in 8 X 65R Brenneke waiting in the wings. There was also 2, Model 70 Winchesters, both in 270 WCF and a Ruger #1 in 300 Win. Mag. as well as a Ruger 77 in the same cartridge.

I am not an example of the old saying, "beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.".....:(

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
My go-to hunting rifle is a BSA/Herters bolt action .243... it's heavy but shoots straight. Previous owner and I have shot a lot of deer with it. I have a Colombian Mauser in 30-06 that I might hunt with this year though.

Small game - a Marlin 795 .22LR.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,201 Posts
Haven't hunted in years, but I guess my favorite small game rifle was my Browning T-Bolt. And for deer (and once for boar in Germany) a Remington 700 ADL in .308.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I’ve loaned my favorite .45 revolver, a 625 .45acp Smith, to a good friend who needed it as he had shot a bear and wanted a backup revolver when he went back into the thick woods to track it. All he had then were long guns. Now he has his father in laws cas guns. But he never shot it as he eventually found the bear dead.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,079 Posts
52 B Winchester med barrel. 20x Lyman target spot.> russian target. brass cases. yellow box? greens steel or back wards
early 54 Anshutz sporter

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hands down savage 99, nothing throws to the shoulder as good as a 99. I got mine cheap from someone down on his luck and i abuse it, ( I'll admit it) its been dropped fallen left uncleaned and it looks like crap but it still holds zero. Although i do have a Remington 760 which handles good, not as good as the 99. But for follow up shots its great almost like the action works itself. But i believe the savage 99 is the best hunting rifle ever made

1 - 18 of 18 Posts