Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,158 Posts
It's a military Mauser that was sporterized (turned into a hunting rifle) This was done a lot after the war.
That crack in the stock above the pistol grip needs to be addressed as it will get worse from recoil. Thank your father for his service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a military Mauser that was sporterized (turned into a hunting rifle) This was done a lot after the war.
That crack in the stock above the pistol grip needs to be addressed as it will get worse from recoil. Thank your father for his service.
Unfortunately he passed way too young in 1985, he was in the 101st airborne F company327th Glider infantry regiment, 2 purple hearts and the bronze star for service from June 6 1944 to May 8 1946, for courage in the Normandy campaign, The airborne assault on Holland in Sept of 1944, and the defense of the key city of Bastogne Belgium from the 19th of Dec till the 27th of Dec. he spent almost a year in England prepping for D-day.
My father has the guy sitting on his shoulders

Mohawks right before D-day

in Belgium

·
Registered
90 Posts
Those pictures of your father are awesome! I would repair the stock and keep the rifle like it is. Seems he earned the right to modify the rifle any damn way he wanted to!!! Excellent post.. Any more photos of his time in the military??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those pictures of your father are awesome! I would repair the stock and keep the rifle like it is. Seems he earned the right to modify the rifle any damn way he wanted to!!! Excellent post.. Any more photos of his time in the military??

In a 18 year old kid

Out a man who had seen the concentration camps, and allot of things he would not talk about

And the way I remember him

·
Registered
630 Posts
Post it in the Military and Sporting forum - this is the wrong forum -
Believe your rifle to be a mid-war sporter, not a post war - there are a couple of guys there that know these rifles very well.
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?22-Commercial-and-Military-Sporting-Arms-Forum
You'll need to pop off the stock so they can see the barrel proof which will be beneath the barrel at the receiver.
That will tell them whether it's a custom barrel and also the date of manufacture and often the builder, too.

GREAT pictures of your father - thank you for posting those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.