Gunboards Forums banner

My Dressed Up MAS 49

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BetaDeltaKA 
#1 ·
After looking for a scope for years for my non import marked MAS49, I was finally able to get one from Buddy Hinton. I collect Vietnam sniper rifles and while I have never been able to find a legit bringback MAS 49 sniper, I wanted an example to have as a display filler. Buddy's post was the answer. Scope quality is excellent and I like the new look of my rifle!

#3 ·
Nice Mle 49

Badash: You have the only Mle 49 French issue that I have seen with walnut stocks. Nice Gun....

I had one in Nam, taken from the NVA, that was beechwood furniture, our SGTMAJ was French (Alsatian) and a vet of the SS and the Legion. He wanted it bad....

Dale

#4 ·
Some of the refurbished Mas 49 ended up with beechwood furniture, but initially they had walnut furniture as well as the early Mas 49-56 (even the not adopted Mas 62 had walnut stock and pistol grip).

A picture of a Mas 49 with original walnut furniture:

#5 ·
Very handsome rifle Badash. You should pick up a copy of Bernard Fall's Street Without Joy or Windrow's The Last Valley if you are interested in the French involvement in Indochina.

#6 ·
Thanks, I've actually read "Street Without Joy" as a young officer in the late 60's (didn't we all?) and again later as well as "The Two Viet Nams", of which I have an autographed copy(I also collect autographed books on Vietnam). I have a pretty substantial library of Vietnam related books I read and reread and ... "The Last Valley" I don't think that I have read, and I will look for it. Thanks again.

The MAS itself I bought as a "war story" gun that supposedly came from Vietnam, but had no documentation. Still looking for a documented one; I know of one authenticated one but the owner won't part with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.