Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So that's why I haven't been around.I did 1 Compaq system recovery and that didn't work.Did it a second time and it still didn't work.Did the destructive recovery and it worked. :)But I lost all my favorites/bookmarks.:eek:

·
Banned
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No more windows puters for me.Next one will be a mac.

·
Empress of the Underworld and Diamond Bullet Membe
40,285 Posts
About three weeks ago the Gunny called me at work and said he got a popup on the desktop saying it had a virus, click here to remove. Well he did... Bad Bad Bad. That's when the computer started doing crazy things. I unplugged it and called the Geek Squad. They said we got Anti Virus 2009, which is not an anti-virus but instead one of the worst and hardest virus's to remove. They scrubbed the pc down removed Internet Explorer, added Google Chrome and added some new anti-virus firewall stuff. Works great now, but watch out, I guess Internet Explorer is prone to this sort of virus and it is very common. The Geek Squad guy said had we not unplugged the computer the virus would have changed passwords and deleted files.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
...when the gadgetry fritzes? I'm liking Linux better and better.
I got off of Windows 2 1/2 years ago and went to Linux. I got tired of spending all my time and effort just trying to keep the computer clean and running.

I'm using Fedora and SAM. What distro are you running?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Having cut my teeth on Unix, I really like OpenSolaris. It's free and it works well on my notebook.

I use plenty of Windows boxes when required (some work boxes, couple at home), but like the opensource OSes when it's an option. ;)

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Will you PLEASE quit whining? Your IRRELEVANT INSULTING COMMENTS add NOTHING to this, or for that matter any other thread. You have caused others to dislike you because you simply CANNOT avoid ridiculous comments or insults YOU brought this ON by yourself in the beginning with your RonPaul posts that insinuiated people who didn't vote for him were,(pick one) stupid, traitors, unAmerican, unable to understand, etc. etc. I have defended you in the past, but you make it very difficult to do so in the present.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
3,981 Posts
Will you PLEASE quit whining? Your IRRELEVANT INSULTING COMMENTS add NOTHING to this, or for that matter any other thread. You have caused others to dislike you because you simply CANNOT avoid ridiculous comments or insults YOU brought this ON by yourself in the beginning with your RonPaul posts that insinuiated people who didn't vote for him were,(pick one) stupid, traitors, unAmerican, unable to understand, etc. etc. I have defended you in the past, but you make it very difficult to do so in the present.
Dont worry John' that tool will get just a little to much booze-drugs and mouth off in a bar and all of a sudden it will be one less troll here, Finito-Kaput, seen it happen.

·
Registered
984 Posts
About three weeks ago the Gunny called me at work and said he got a popup on the desktop saying it had a virus, click here to remove.

I have seen those a few times pop up now and then. NEVER click on that crap, it will eat your computer alive. Same for those FREE fishy screensavers. They are loaded with viruses and junk to attack your computer.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
28,012 Posts
noob mistake...

But it happens. Daughter #1 did the same last week, but was able to recover. NEVER believe any anti virus pop up, even if you think you are protected. Unplug the internet connection, and open and run your anti virus, and all the bells and whistles you have.
Go to MALWAREBYTES.COM and download the free removal tool for that POS virus (which you have done already, I read). Those virus writers need their feet beaten with rods.
How's the hand?

About three weeks ago the Gunny called me at work and said he got a popup on the desktop saying it had a virus, click here to remove. Well he did... Bad Bad Bad. That's when the computer started doing crazy things. I unplugged it and called the Geek Squad. They said we got Anti Virus 2009, which is not an anti-virus but instead one of the worst and hardest virus's to remove. They scrubbed the pc down removed Internet Explorer, added Google Chrome and added some new anti-virus firewall stuff. Works great now, but watch out, I guess Internet Explorer is prone to this sort of virus and it is very common. The Geek Squad guy said had we not unplugged the computer the virus would have changed passwords and deleted files.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Funny thing happened to my last PC. My first PC had burned uot due to a stuck ventilator fan so I picked up a cheap used PC till I could find a good deal on a late model.
I had never heard of the Windows ME OS before that.
The PC worked great for awhile then its built in Y2K bug hit and the Calendar rolled back to 1858 and scrambled the registry.

I got it working well enough to get on the net and find a fix. That required editing and rewriting parts of the registry.

I still have the Windows ME machine, it seems to still work okay but shuts itself down if the room gets over 80 degrees, apparently thats a safety mechanism thats just too sensitive to heat since the PC has shown no sign of actually getting hot.

This more recent PC uses Vista, which had a few quirks of its own when I first got it, updates seem to have cured those.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
28,012 Posts
a few quirks...

....This more recent PC uses Vista, which had a few quirks of its own when I first got it, updates seem to have cured those.
LOL Gunner, your sense of humor kills me!! Quirks, like, say, not writing drivers for half the printers and scanners on the market? Or, say, writing an OS that is incompatable with 40% of the business software in play? Yea, quirks.....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
LOL Gunner, your sense of humor kills me!! Quirks, like, say, not writing drivers for half the printers and scanners on the market? Or, say, writing an OS that is incompatable with 40% of the business software in play? Yea, quirks.....
I haven't run into those problems yet.
Only real problem so far is that Windows Media Player doesn't work properly.
I use VLC media player with no problems.
My older Lexmark's scanner function still works with Vista, but it had quit printing long before I got this PC.

All the programs I have installed on this machine seem to be working okay now.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
I've had ZERO problems on my Compaq Poresario running Vista Home Basic, except that it wont open a few zip files successfully and I have to reboot. Otherwise its amazingly stable and trouble free. I suspect that the "Aero" option on the more upscale Vista versions, plus sidebar programs, are the big memory hogs as they sit there permanently and are mostly useless, plus a lot of sidebar programs seem to have problems.

I use Windows Live OneCare for anti virus and spyware and its been 100% effective in keeping crap off the machine. I also do not run any sidebar programs, 3rd party toolbars, and NEVER click on any wonderful offer to fix or give me anything. Any emails that show up with links I go to the websites via Internet Explorer directly, not by the email link.

Both Linux and Mac OSs are just as inherently susceptible to viruses and malware. But the little gargoyle who gets his kicks writing that stuff can affect between 20 and 100 times more computers by writing for Microsoft operating systems than anything else. Same for alternate browsers like Firefox and Mozilla, except their tech support base is so low you'll probably have compatibility problems on many websites even without the malware.

As for Internet Explorer it has extensive built in security options under "Tools". Learn what they are and how to set it up so it works OK but keeps out the malware. Mine regularly refuses to open websites that have lost their security certificate and issues warning prompts for lots of stuff, originally too much, so I adjusted it to be a little more lenient.

And remember the ONE Commandment of Computing: BACK UP!

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
buddybaer.....Sorry to hear about your computer....but how do you feel???....:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts