Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my collection go to Amoskeag auction house in New Hampshire yesterday. It was time for me to put the collection in other guys hands. Being in Mass it was easier to let the Auction house take care of it. I did sell a few pieces to a couple guys but most went to auction and will show up over the next years. Hope you guys get an opportunity to collect some of my stuff.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,295 Posts
Wow! Quite the collection.
Did you keep anything?

I have been thinning out some of my stuff by local consignment sale.
Not nearly as large as yours though.

I guess letting it all go at once is one way of making the decision.
But that is a big decision., and represents the final days of a lot of time, effort, satisfaction and enjoyment. :)

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,871 Posts
Congratulations!

A life filled of collecting what you love.(and very tasteful choices at that) is an achievement.

I think you're getting out at a good time too. Not to get political but dark clouds are on the horizon economically it would seem.

Enjoyed the pictures.

PS, this is how you do it folks.. you show your collection off AFTER it's gone.. otherwise you're tempting wolves and the thread title would be the same but for a different reason.

·
Registered
456 Posts
WOW, you really have a love for this hobby.

I don't know your deal, but I am sure you think and feel this is the best move for you and your loved ones. Me I am not that guy.

Story time:

I have had 5 back surgeries in the past 12 years. The reason I have had 5 is because I refuse to have 6.

There has been years when I have basically done nothing, no fun stuff. Sold my motorcycle, quit shooting, quit messing with cars and sold most the old cars off, at one time I had 24 cars. I kept a couple that I could just not let go, my race car, two old Fiats, an old triumph a 63 Bug, and a rail buggy. I figured the rail would give me the motorcycle experience on four wheels....close but not the same.

Anyhoo I am selling off a bike and the guy that lives behind me comes over with his friend that is going to buy the bike. We are in my shop, and I am on "good" pain meds to just stand there. The guy behind me looks at the bug and says poor VW. This ticks me off (to be G rated) to no end. One of the side effects of pain killers is they put my brain in neutral and my mouth will just say what I think, read no filter. Below is a short transcript.

Buddy: How long has it been that you worked on the VW?
me: About 5-6 years, you know back issues.
Buddy: Poor VW.
me: How is your Firebird project going.
Buddy: oh I sold that a while ago, figured I was never going to finish it.
Me: You are a far better man then I am. You see you never finishing things you start, me I will claw scratch my way through I will never give up, you know when you are licked and it is time to give up and move on.

Former Buddy: Yea.

I have not talked to him again after that, but at the back fence to our property when his horse got out.....again.

Some things I will let go if I figure I can't enjoy them anymore, I don't know what I will do if I can't shoot for some reason any longer. The wife knows what I have and has a rough idea on what it is worth, the kid (26 and getting married in a few weeks) has a basic idea, and knows to look stuff up before doing anything if he does not want it. Sorry kiddo, you are very likely going to have to deal with all my crap. I doubt the wife unless really pressed for cash would sell anything. Just her way.

·
Registered
Collector of military rifles and modern handguns.
379 Posts
That was a spectacular display of guns and ammo. Unlike so many hobbies, collecting firearms does not cost a great deal of money in the long run. I hope that you find a way to enjoy the proceeds of the sale!

As I am aging, I have began to wonder if I own my collection or if it owns me. My emotional attachment is waning and I have begun to sell off, through consignments, a few at the time. I have told my wife that if I reach my expiration date suddenly, then the auction house is the way to go.

I have had a great deal of fun gathering in my very modest collection and I intend to have fun disposing of it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You have done a great job building your cave and organizing your collection. Very nice. I need a larger area to do the same with mine but time will come, God willing. I like the old safe you have. I have an old one like that too and it just looks good in there. Good luck and I hope the auction house doesn't rip you off too much!

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh man....oh man...what a collection. I have seen snippets over the years....still amazing to me what some have collected through the years. Keeping anything?
I saved a couple.
I like how it all got displayed. If I could do that, I would have more. Piling stuff into a safe is not the deal deal.
Every time I used my computer I was surrounded by my ak collection which most I built. It was time. I am 76 and I couldn't take a chance if something happened to me what would happen to the collection? So now I can use what money is generated and be able to do what I need . I am happy that other collectors will end up with them I made sure that anything that went with the various pieces will be sold with that piece. If a guy is a collector of Chinese sks by factory code I think they will find quite allot I had at least 70 sks carbines including the rarest which will come up for auction.

·
Registered
917 Posts
In the end, we are all just caretakers for this stuff. Time comes, we pass the torch onto others whom hopefully will follow our lead. Personally, I would prefer (if the chance is afforded me) to see good friends and fellow collectors I know benefit first, rather than go thru a money grubbing auction house. However, my holdings are not as extensive as those pictured. Should I decide to sell, I can pick up the phone and in a few minutes, consign my collection to a good friend of over 35 years and never worry about a thing in doing so.

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have done a great job building your cave and organizing your collection. Very nice. I need a larger area to do the same with mine but time will come, God willing. I like the old safe you have. I have an old one like that too and it just looks good in there. Good luck and I hope the auction house doesn't rip you off too much!
Being in Massachusetts I kept all my bolts for the weapons in that safe. If anyone is setting up a room like mine all the hooks are coming down.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Your passion for collecting will be your legacy passed down with the items handed off to a new owner. Congratulations on a bittersweet end to an epic collection.
Some of my all time favorite pieces in my collection are “legacy” premium guns from notable collectors past.
Better your guns go sell for big bucks and
make a lot of happy guys out there all at once. Than to be risked getting confiscated and shredded by the peoples Republic of Massachusetts.
The irony of all these beautiful communist guns right under the noses of the commies that run their freedom hating ex birth place of American Liberty.
Bless you howie. You had a good run at it.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
...snip... I made sure that anything that went with the various pieces will be sold with that piece. ...snip...
This is the big problem with most estate sales. And one I worry about. I have much less than the OP but, perhaps more boxes of take off parts, accessories, bayonets, etc... I would rather keep stuff together and get paid less than seperate things that belong together.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Amazing collection. Hope that you enjoy the procedes that they generate. Liked the back wall with the US weapons. And of course the WC Browning. As it’s been said we are just the current caretakers of these pieces of military history. Hopefully they’ll be around long after we’re gone.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts