Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going through some old photos. Funny thing is that the only thing I still have from all this is the bayonet there in the center. The first short rifle on the left is a T-2 I got for $85. It had a sanded fore stock.
All of this was before MROJ came out so I knew nothing about how they were matched, etc.
Kinda wish I'da kept that helmet. It was a good one & cost me a whole $35!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Rob your collection has grown just a bit, Oh I miss the good old days of those $35.00 helmets and those $40.00-$50.00 rifles. I have a helmet that is complete that I bought at a garage sale waaaaay !!!! back in the 70's from the vet's son. I beleive I gave $25.00 or $30.00 for it. I sure wsh we had those good old day's again and a couple of pocket's full of spending change. Four or five hundred in your pocket back in those days and a guy could get a pretty good start on a collection.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
Dang Rob, that is an impressive collection for that time. I had a 22 and a four-ten shot gun then, both Mossbergs. I was making $1.45 per hour in '71 and in '72 my Army pay was $188/mth pre tax. Two things struck me right off with my first Army check. One, that involutary scalping/haircut was deducted from my first pay check. Thought that one was included in the cost of submission. Two, the gov. paid me but took part of my money back before I got it so they never really paid me the $188. I somehow thought that the gov. would not take the money they were paying me so it would be net pay. That helment would have been a week's take home pay and work weeks were 7 days and about 16 hrs per day average for that pay.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That photo was taken while I was on leave from the Navy after finishing Nuclear Weapons school and before I headed to Athens Greece to hitch a ride on the USS Independence

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Now I gotta find a scanner,all my 70s pics are old Polaroids! I started in '78 with my dads captured gunto and T99,no-ser. with all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately my older brother ripped me off while I was at camp and swapped them for a pair of boots and a bag of weed! But hey,it was the 70s,I guess that was a good deal back then,heh. I started a new collection in '80 and got a half dozen Arisakas and a nambu and shingunto on the wall in that pic,plus my detour into 3rd Reich stuff. Divorce and med probs wiped out most of that(Rob ended up w/a nice gunto and lt.col's tunic :thumbsup:) and now my cupboards pretty bare. But I'll have fun seeking out replacements.... back to the basics...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Hah! Took a pic of the polaroid and it came out pretty good,this is my start up collection,circa 1977,rifle and sword from my dad,nambu and flags from my uncle who was a m.mate on the Yorktown....
BTW,the pic of the Zekes was a screen shot from Tora Tora Tora,they gave them out in the lobby,gives you an idea of the era,the models I did in my pre-teens,BB Nagato and a T97 tank...

·
Administrator
3,266 Posts
boy, you guys are YOUNG!

I was 11 in 1971 (unless before October, then I was 10) ;)

But I had a paperroute and was already buying bayonets a year or so later; why have GI Joes when you can have the real thing :)

Ed

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
why have GI Joes when you can have the real thing :)
Ed
Yeah, the guys that played with GI Joes are probably todays sake cup collectors. They tend to have limp wrists and love San Fagcisco ;)

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
They tend to have limp wrists and love San Fagcisco ;)
Heehee. Aww man you're being too harsh to "The City". I live 10 minutes south of San Fran in San Bruno, probably the only red-neck city in the Bay Area, and they just opened up another new gunshop here. Hard to believe event in Kalifonia. We also have this bar called "The Dog House" which looks like some run-down joint found only in Congress, AZ or somesuch place.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Rob,
Lets see your 1971 vintage. Bibs. I got my first pistol in 1973. A fellow student had a 1913 luger he got off another neighbors kid. He brought it to school and I gave him 5 bucks for it. I actually had it in my locker. I like to think I was a founding father of guns in school. My how times have changed. I kept it for awhile. Then sold it to my cousins boyfriend at that time for 15 bucks. LOL By the way I was 12 in 1971

·
Silver Bullet member
708 Posts
SHEEEEEEECCCCCHHHHHHH!!! You guys are really makin' me feel like dirt now. By '71, I had been married for 15 years and had about 18 nice Marlins and 5 Rugers and the wife owned a 90th Anniversary Marlin M39 carbine and one of the early 3 digit Single Six = and still has them! I'm still trying to figure out where all those Arisakas came from???? Someone told me that is was a bad disease and hard to get away from. Oh well, they still look nice and shoot great!! Now, if I could just find ?????????
Larry

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
I cut my first tooth in 1971. learned to walk, too. at least, that's what I have heard. Was stationed on an FFG in the independence battle group stationed out of yokosuka from 92-95. Bet she looked a lot better 20 years before when you checked on board her though.
y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Heehee. Aww man you're being too harsh to "The City". I live 10 minutes south of San Fran in San Bruno, probably the only red-neck city in the Bay Area, and they just opened up another new gunshop here. Hard to believe event in Kalifonia. We also have this bar called "The Dog House" which looks like some run-down joint found only in Congress, AZ or somesuch place.
He's got one of those kind running in a special election down there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Laird_(California)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Rob,
Lets see your 1971 vintage. Bibs. I got my first pistol in 1973. A fellow student had a 1913 luger he got off another neighbors kid. He brought it to school and I gave him 5 bucks for it. I actually had it in my locker. I like to think I was a founding father of guns in school. My how times have changed. I kept it for awhile. Then sold it to my cousins boyfriend at that time for 15 bucks. LOL By the way I was 12 in 1971
You got robbed! A common German 9mm Luger pistol was worth about $100 or so in 1973. These days you'd get expelled for having a photo of the damed thing, let alone get caught with it in your locker.

In 1971: I had a .22 caliber rifle, a .410 shotgun and a type 99 Arisaka rifle, which the neighbor brought home from WW2. I started buying more guns at the flea markets a few years later...

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
You got robbed! A common German 9mm Luger pistol was worth about $100 or so in 1973. These days you'd get expelled for having a photo of the damed thing, let alone get caught with it in your locker.

In 1971: I had a .22 caliber rifle, a .410 shotgun and a type 99 Arisaka rifle, which the neighbor brought home from WW2. I started buying more guns at the flea markets a few years later...
Hmmmm, let's see; bought it for $5, sold for $15- tripled his money, sure sounds like a robbery all the way around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.