Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lot number on the cans is SL9740. It came in a wooden crate with US flaming bomb ordnance markings. I thought the CMP ammo was supposed to be Norwegian? SL is the Salt Lake city ordnance plant, I thought...

Any thoughts or experiences with this ammo?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
From what I know, the AP was either Norwegian or US in manufacture. It was all the luck of the draw and seems you lucked out with some nice US AP! No thoughts except I wish I had managed to get some of it before it sold out, haha! Enjoy it!

·
Copper Bullet member
760 Posts
No, the SL ammo you got was produced in Santo Logubre, a very poor country known for poor lighting and low quality control standards. There have been multiple safety warnings in gun publications concerning this ammo. There have been multiple case ruptures, misfires, and spontaneous detonations.

I just happen to have the proper equipment to properly dispose of it safely, so go ahead and send it to me and I'll take care of it for you.

I know, not very original, thought I'd try!:) You have very nice non-corrosive, reloadable USGI Saint Louis ammo. It easily sells for triple what you paid, not that you want to sell it, of course.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,516 Posts
Interesting to note that lots of Norwegian "AYR" .30-06 AP ammo is suddenly showing up for sale, including here on Gunboards. If you follow the story on the CMP Forum, you'll find that the AYR appears to be junk.

·
Copper Bullet member
760 Posts
Some folks have been finding a few with internal corrosion and "clumpy" powder. Others have been shooting it just fine. One guy had a couple case ruptures. If I had some, I would sure think twice about shooting it without pulling it apart and checking it first.

·
Registered
412 Posts
SL is St Louis Ordnance Plant, St Louis, MO. Not Salt Lake City. The CMP ammo is whatever whas there. Most of it was AYR. There was some SL and on occassion there were a few cans of Lake City (Lake City Ammunition Plant, Lake City, MO) mixed in.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Interesting to note that lots of Norwegian "AYR" .30-06 AP ammo is suddenly showing up for sale, including here on Gunboards. If you follow the story on the CMP Forum, you'll find that the AYR appears to be junk.
My first-hand experience with AYR ammo has been good. The primers when tested, did not rust a piece of mild steel. Accuracy is excellent and no cartridge malfunctions at all. I would like to have more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello kilroymcb Do you recall what the CMP price was on a crate with two spam cans SL 384 rds?

The lot number on the cans is SL9740. It came in a wooden crate with US flaming bomb ordnance markings. I thought the CMP ammo was supposed to be Norwegian? SL is the Salt Lake city ordnance plant, I thought...

Any thoughts or experiences with this ammo?

·
Registered
39 Posts
CMP price 2010

Not kilroymcb, but the CMP was selling 192 rnd cans for $60 making a 384 rnd case $120 plus tax or shipping depending on how you bought it.I bought some the first day it was on sale at the north store, 08 may 10.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.