Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I picked up this Cetme C from another member that was having some problems with it -

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Started to go through it and made some minor repairs and checks -

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun Gun accessory

Picked-up a few new parts and some NOS magazines. Took it to the range, and it functioned fine with the new mags. The original mag may have been part of the problem. Refinished the trigger housing, grip, and the mags -

Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Rectangle Bumper Hood Automotive exterior Gadget

Stripped the receiver, did some repairs, and refinished it as well.

Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Wood

Waiting for a few parts to begin the reassembly. Planning to go with original wood furniture. Not going to be a real "restoration" or anything, just finished to the look I like.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've mentioned before, I had an absolute ugly duckling of a spackle-coated G3, and putting wood at both ends converted it into a - not quite a beautiful swan, but a handsome and workmanlike piece.

The transformation was stunning, it really had been a "paper bagger" before. ;-)

Jeans Sleeve Waist Vision care Gesture

·
Registered
524 Posts
What finish did you use on the metal and the grip. I have been wanting to refinish my G3 for a long time but seeing the finish you did on your Cetme has got me wanting to just do it.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Gun accessory
The metal doesn't look as good in person as it does in the photo. I recently reworked a G3 wood stock set for my son's PTR 9CT.I used satin black Rustoleum for the metal on his.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
He is waiting on his tax stamp to put things together but it did run fine with just the rear metal pinned on.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What finish did you use on the metal and the grip. I have been wanting to refinish my G3 for a long time but seeing the finish you did on your Cetme has got me wanting to just do it. The metal doesn't look as good in person as it does in the photo. I recently reworked a G3 wood stock set for my son's PTR 9CT.I used satin black Rustoleum for the metal on his. He is waiting on his tax stamp to put things together but it did run fine with just the rear metal pinned on.
It's a satin black powder coat, made by NIC Industries, called Black Jack.

Powder does present some issues, and isn't usually the best choice for firearms, mostly because of the thickness.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You appear to have a steel CETME mag pictures there. Century designed these to use the cheap G3 aluminum mags
Aren't they pretty much all interchangeable?

I hadn't heard that, but these work fine - plus they just look right to me.

I have aluminum and steel G3 mags, but prefer the steel ones.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The steel ones will eventually beat up the magwell.

At least that is what I've found from shooting HK's over 40 years.

Conelrad
The rifle came with a steel mag, and magwell on the rifle was a bit dinged-up when I got it. I cleaned it up before coating, and new Cetme C steel mags drop right in smoothly now.

I could see where the aluminum mags would be easier on the rifle, but the way I shoot they don't get slammed in roughly anyway.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should take some measurements and compare the aluminum and steel G3 mags to the steel Cetme C mags.

I test fired the Cetme with the steel Cetme mags, but use mostly the steel G3 mags in my PTR91. The aluminum ones just feel like they are made from recycled German beer cans.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts