Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1940 dated, matching slide and frame. Barrel mismatched, mag too.

But she has seen some action!

Note the hand-made wood grips. Nobody seems to have seen grips like this before. I'm tempted to have the NCSU Ag department do a wood sample analysis to see what kind of tree it came from.

I suspect it is a Vietnam bringback, though Korea is not entirely impossible, too.

Any thoughts on collector value?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Nice,I am working a deal on my first TT-33, as far as value I am no expert but think it would bring 6 to 700 at least.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I sold one last year in a bit better shape, I think mine sold for around $550 (and I think should have been a bit more on gunbroker)

·
Silver Bullet member
402 Posts
I'm with everyone else...I would say $500+. I know that it would be on my radar at that price.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like it, though I would like to have a standard-issue configuration TT33. This one is quite interesting, but not exactly what the troops would have carried since the grips are replacements.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,970 Posts
Still a nice pistol. It is always possible that the troops changed the grips.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eli, I tend to agree. Seems I've seen wood like this from SE Asia before, but I'm no expert.

I think I will contact the local Ag Dept at the university. They do these sort of things for free as student research projects.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Eli, I tend to agree. Seems I've seen wood like this from SE Asia before, but I'm no expert.

I think I will contact the local Ag Dept at the university. They do these sort of things for free as student research projects.
It should be easy enough to get some "regulation" grips for it and keep the wooden ones, which I think would enhance value from a historical/usage perspective.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I really like it, though I would like to have a standard-issue configuration TT33. This one is quite interesting, but not exactly what the troops would have carried since the grips are replacements.
looks like something a Helicopter pilot might have carried for a back up weapon? I met a former Vietnam chopper pilot that brought home a captured Chinese Tokarev he took off a dead NVA soldier, he said they went back before the enemy could booby trap the bodies and when he turned the dead NVA guy over he was carrying the Tokarev in a holster.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've got an Exc+ 66 dated (13 mil ser nr) chicom with the trophy papers. It goes good with my 13 Mil mint SKS also with trophy papers.
Sarge

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice. It looks like the slide has had some Cold Blue applied or are my old eyes going?

·
Gold Bullet member
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as I can tell, the finish on it is original Russian. It has the patina that only age can produce.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts