Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Type 99 Kokura 1st 500 Sniper Rifle. Bought this within 3 miles of my home. Didn't know what it was and drove away because he wouldn't budge on the price. I described it to a friend and he told me what it was, U-turned in the road and went back and bought it. Would love to find the scope, I think it has to be somewhere close. :crossfingers: David

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Morning David :

Great story, the God of collectors was looking out for you that time. Yours is the 56th out of 57 reported Kokura 99 rifles, while only 41 original scopes are known.
The nearest issued scopes to your rifle are the ones for rifles 330 & 369, that matching scope may or may not be that close. So far two rifles have matching scopes # 264 & 370, the scope on mine is 100 numbers later than the rifle.
Vicasoto

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,568 Posts
Damn nice find. I would not consider the ground mum a factor on this rifle. 57 reported rifles is a pretty rare bird. Congrats.

So Victor, educate me. Was the removal of numbers/Arsenal Sypmbol from the side of the receiver and then re-stamping on the bridge a common trait of a Kokura 99 Sniper? It appears they modeled off the Type 97s and then decided to change, similar to Type 99 Long Rifles and early Short Rifles. Interesting....

Thanks, Shannon

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Afternoon Gentlemen :

General Gordy, the scope you mentioned is for a Nagoya 97 rifle, wrong arsenal & type, although it is physically the same 2.5 x 10° scope body.

smzeigler, you are not Luke and I'm not Yoda ...... it appears from physical observation that the first 500 batch of Kokura 99 snipers were marked on the left receiver wall like the earlier Kokura 97s, technically these should have been issued for testing with dust covers. Some military department decided that they much rather move the serial number to the receiver bridge area for all future snipers and not install anymore dust covers ( now am not saying that the do away of the dust cover was the reason, but a result ) .
These rifles were returned from service testing, the old markings polished off & reblued, many rifles in this range also show signs of stock repairs in the forend area with added wood, slight refinishing of the stock, but only a few have the added "Dai" marking. The next 500 rifles ( ser. # 500 to 999 ) no longer show signs of having had the old style serial number and Logo, but stamped on the bridge from the start and these have the "Dai" marking engraved below the Type 99 markings. Many of these do not show signs of having had a monopod even though they have the "B" rear barrel band.
Vicasoto

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Hi Mike :

Mum condition on these Kokura 99s is interesting, out of 57 reported rifles ( the mum condition was not mentioned on 7 ) only 4 have Mums, just finding a rifle is quite a trophy with 1 in 12 odds. Every one I have ever seen in 27 years has always been ground .
Vicasoto

·
Gold Bullet member
14,167 Posts
Hi Mike :

Mum condition on these Kokura 99s is interesting, out of 57 reported rifles ( the mum condition was not mentioned on 7 ) only 4 have Mums, just finding a rifle is quite a trophy with 1 in 12 odds. Every one I have ever seen in 27 years has always been ground .
Vicasoto
Hi Vic, Very interesting. I agree on finding one rifle is a trophy and am blessed to have found 6, owned 5 and retained 3 in my life. Hope all is well with you and family. Best regards.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I wanted to share my early Kokura sniper. Great info from Vic. I always wondered why it had the scrubbed serial number. Picked it up years ago without the scope at a local gunshow. I walked up to a table and the gun was lying on its left side. All I could see was the bent bolt and thought to myself, "another bubba job". I flipped it over and about died when I saw the scope mount. The guy wasn't sure that he wanted to sell it - wanted to ask around to find out what it was and what it was worth. His kid sat at the table saying, "go ahead and sell it dad." I was doing the Jedi mind trick saying "listen to your kid". Luckily he did! I actually bought the scope (with case - not shown) from Doss at a gunshow in Houston.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Hi # 58 !!!!

What a surprise mdmorrissey, a new number for the files. I have a ton of questions, all small details of markings, locations, how many, etc., so rather than tie up this thread please get back to me by e-mail at : < [email protected] > . Congratulations on a great find even if years ago. Now I know where Kogaku scope No. 352 for Kokura 99 is located ! .

Mike I have 2 thoughts, one is that when this action was returned for the serial number location change it might have been rebarreled, the other was that during the barrel alignment the upper mark was an error or a miss strike and once the barrel was fully tightened and the extractor cutout properly aligned with the bolt passage a new line had to be stamped.

Vicasoto

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Hi hogcoach :

Are you saying that mdmorrissey's scope issued to Kokura 99 rifle # 158 is only 12 digits off from your rifle ?. If correct then your Kokura rifle should be either # 146 or # 170 . Neither of those two rifle numbers have ever been reported or were known to exist. How about telling us what you have, that would make the 59th Kokura 99 reported. For a start : serial number, mum condition, is it matching numbers, does it have a monopod, cleaning rod, aircraft wings on the rear sight, sling ? .
Vicasoto

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.