Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 12 hours in this rifle trying to get it back to original condition. Lately I posted my exploits of hunting down Savage parts and then refinishing the wood. Well, as it was, I couldn't sleep last night. I was up about 4am and was looking for something to do. I decided to go down and start a detailed cleaning on the barrel receiver. I got it all lathered up in Hoppes #9 and was brushing away, when all of a sudden the barrel works loose from the receiver. I mean it was like taking a cap off of a diet coke. Initially, I had to laugh. The old video of the two guys talking about a ship saying "the front fell off" came to mind. Then, the heartache set in.

OK, so where am I with this thing. It times perfect when it stops threading by hand. So if I try to cinch it, It's gonna overtime. How much torque is supposed to be applied in setting the barrel? Do they make breeching washer for Enfields? Is that even viable. I have no barrel mounting tools. It's actually a pretty decent barrel in terms of erosion, but now I'm sure it was a replacement barrel at some point. Should I just sell the parts and start over.

Help me out here guys. Give me your best ideas.

·
Registered
241 Posts
RE:Loose barrel on lee-enfield

Not uncommon on old Lee's. Read Roy Dunlap's book "Gunsmithing" for how British Armours solved this problem, but if it was my Rifle, i'd get some "Thread-locking " Loctite, either the red or green.Clean all oil off threads, apply Lotite and screw Barrel in.Trust me, it works. I used this idea on a Woodsman pistol and it worked fine, never any problem with it.The reason my barrel was loose was it was a replacement barrel, the original had been cut-off by a drug dealer to make a "belly-gun".I was lucky to have my stolen gun returned by the police, this was 1982, these days i'd expect to hear it was melted down, esp. in California where i was living at the time, now in Texas.A free state at last.

·
Registered
636 Posts
In my 48 years of LE experience I have never heard of a barrel loose in the action body. I guess that my first concern would be for a cracked action body that allowed the barrel to be loose. No amount of 'loctite' will fix the problem, as I see it. I'd see a gun smith before I made any other decisions.

1,196 Posts
Good advice from Ed.

I believe that to fix it 'properly', a breeching washer is the way to go.

Rather than using a 10 thou shim, (which can and probably will distort when cranking the barrel stupid tight to 230ft/lbs), the shoulder of the barrel is set back .100 inch on a lathe. A washer .110inch is turned to suit and match profile. It is almost invisible, just a joint line.

Me, I would try the use of loctite first, but let my dumb-ass brother in law (everybody has one) crank off ten rounds rapid (here, old ma beer!) and see if it loosens up.

I have heard of shade tree gunsmiths using solder paste on the barrel threads and heating it up, not too sure about that one either. I have seen barrels that have been peened at the shoulder to give some metal to crush, but avoid those considering it to be the work of an amateur (Hi Bubba).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.