Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
$179 Black Friday PSA 16" 1/7 twist Mid-Length Upper (includes shipping)
$ 39 Custom Muzzle Brakes "Tactical Tri-Delta Comp"
$ 69 Black Friday AIM M16A1 BCG (includes shipping)
$ 75 Black Friday Anderson AM15 lower (included tax)
$ 25 CA DROS fee
$ 25 Magpul MOE Midlength Handguard (BCM takeoff)
$ 20 Tapco M4 stock, Milspec tube (latch screwed to "pin" the stock)
$ 25 Tactical Intent 3.8 oz H Buffer (ebay)
$ 15 Used charging handle from a friends SIG (he went tactical)
$ 20 flip up, steel A2 BUIS
$ 50 DPMS LPK (was actually in the DPMS package) Ebay!
$ 79 Bushnell TRS-32 red dot. Factory refurbed. Came w/o mount, so just using a ring I have until my cantilever mount I ordered arrives.
The MMG was a blem and I have had it for years. I think it was $15 including shipping.
The sling was a gift from a friend in Texas.

$621.00 TOTAL. Actually recalculated the base price. The base price was $532 before I changed out the included stuff for upgrades (H Buffer, Muzzle brake, Handguards)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The green striped mags are loaded with Lake City M855 Green tip, and the red striped mags are full of MK262 MOD1 77 grain OTMs. The 20 rounder (with both color stripes) are loaded alternately MK262/M855, every other round. I had this same PSA PTAC mid-length upper, but let a friend talk me out of it a couple months ago. That one got 1 MOA with the MK262 and 1.5 MOA with M193. I heard that FN makes their 1/7 twist barrels.

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,784 Posts
If I move to California I think I'll just take my 16 inch Rossi M92 in 357 :) I hope that's still legal there...
Sadly the gun laws seem to change (for the worse) rapidly. Anything that sounds good for political purposes seems to rapidly become law. The laws are so complex many have lost interest and do whatever they want. I doubt the minutia of what is or isn't legal in the way of AR or AK mods is beyond the average LEO.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadly the gun laws seem to change (for the worse) rapidly. Anything that sounds good for political purposes seems to rapidly become law. The laws are so complex many have lost interest and do whatever they want. I doubt the minutia of what is or isn't legal in the way of AR or AK mods is beyond the average LEO.
Thanks to a lot of education by the Calguns Foundation, law enforcement has not harassed us with our "featureless builds". Many shooter over 32-35 years had the foresight to buy mags before the 1-1-2000 magazine ban. I'm 63 and had mine going back to the 70s and 80s.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i do not understand the "bargain" in the title.
my last complete 16" build was $460.
The base price was $532 before I changed out for upgrades (H Buffer, Muzzle brake, Handguards), it also included out California DROS fee of $25. If you remove that for being in another state, it actually drops to $497. Also, my price includes BUIS and the Bushnell TRS-32 optic. Deduct those to achieve base price for basic weapon only, would be $433.

A couple years ago, I did a cheaper build ($379 for the whole kit +$100 for lower and DROS fee. It was pretty funky, though. It had a Cheapo import LPK (it had a 15 pound trigger pull!), a commercial spec tube M4 stock with a truck spring for a recoil spring. I had to clip 5 coils off the spring for it to cycle. It did have a 1/9 twist M4 barrel, but handguards without heat shields! Also, the upper was not "T Marked" After trimming the spring, it worked fine, and did shoot about 2.5 MOA.

I'd love to see your parts/price list!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are four ways to keep an AR "Featureless" as far as grips go: Hammerhead (I like), MonsterMan Grip (OK), Kydex grip paddle, and a thorsen grip stock (which really is iffy as far as legality because of the location of the web of the hand being below the plane of the top of the trigger);

HAMMERHEAD

MonsterMan Grip

Kydex Paddle:

Thorsden

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I order of utility, best to worst:

Best - Hammerhead is best, giving you a grip much like a FN P90 PDW. Very secure one handed grip when doing magazine changes. Actually, almost as good as a standard pistol grip, once you get used to it. It is, however, the ugliest. That's why I didn't use it in the pictures. I am putting it back on.

Next is the MMG. It is the best looking option, but second in utility. With an M4 stock, the thumb can actually go over the top, though, and help give a secure grip.

After MMG, Kydex paddles. When actually firing the weapon, these are the most comfortable, and natural, allowing you to pull the weapon back into your shoulder. For range shooting, that is what I prefer. The drawback, however, is that there is no wrapping around of the thumb to give a secure one handed grip changing mags.

As far as the Thorsden, here is the definition of pistol grip under California Law:

“(d) “pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon” means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top exposed portion of the trigger while firing.”

Thordsen actually allows the web about 1/2" below the plane allowed under the law. I would not want to be the test case. Besides, they are the UGLIEST set up! LOL

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.