Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the mp43 was left behind in the bulge .
the mg34 never left the factory ,it is marked dot 1943 but is not aproved with waffenamt signs . it is also not marked with the davidstar from israel ,so it was put away in storage and never fired a shot !
the mg42 was made in februari 1945 ("dd-DF" markings) so i guess it never left germany...
the maxim 1910 is marked 1943 and is also used in israel in 1948

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My best friend since I was six lost his Uncle J. R. in your country February 2, 1945. He came so close to coming back to the family farm. He was a Tank commander that won a silver star while fighting the Nazi's in your country. My Uncle who was his friend, football team mate and fellow soldier came back without a scratch. Go figure.

Tribrothers

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
foy1944 writes: i only collect de legendary german-used weapons .i have never seen a german with the lewis so far...

The Germans did use the Lewis guns along with captured .303 ammo and also converted some to 7.92. I have a Lewis drum in 7.92 made and marked by Mauser GMBH. It fits onto a standard lewis LMG perfectly. No 7.92 Lewis barrels have shown up in the US, and I have never seen or heard of anyother 7.92 drum. From one european collector I know, the suggestion was that the drum was made for the prototype MG13, whcih was drum fed with a Lewis type drum.
I haven't come across any pictures of Germans using Lewis LMGs, and of course, they did put to us every other type of captured small arm.

Bob Naess

·
Registered
467 Posts
the maxim 1910 is marked 1943 and is also used in israel in 1948
Great collection! How do you know Israel used that 1910 in 1948? Is it so marked?

To me the 1910 looks just like the ones that came from bulgaria that have all be factory refinished. Note the paint on the wheels... that comes off quick once someone rolls it around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my maxim is 1943-marked and has russian letters over all parts ,it is also marked with de star of david ,so it is used over there to . the paint is israely applied in the late '40 .

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I would be very interested in seeing a pic of the Star of David on the 1910 if you can provide one. For the collectors in the US who are interested in Maxims, an Israeli marked 1910 is noteworthy! Although we are fairly few in number, our interest in Maxims and specific models and makes is quite strong.
Some of the 1910 collectors are especially interested in the various stamped markings and other marks on the guns. In my estimation, about 1500 to 2000 Russian Maxim 1910s have been imported into the US in the last ten or so years and such a small number out of the total production leaves many questions unanswered.
The two mounted 1910s in the pic are live original guns, both brought into the US prior to 1968. The 1910 to the right is the same year and maker as yours, Izhevsk 1943, but there is no possible way to know its history aside from its import into the US in 1955 and then its movement from owner to owner. There are no marks on either gun to indicate useage by other armies.
Anyway, any help you can provide is welcome and appreciated.

Bob Naess

Attachments

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
There are WW1 photo's of german troops with Lewis guns, They used every one they could capture. Oddly enough NO Chauchats.
Did they know something the french didn't?

A friend has a vickers with the range marked in meters on one side of the scale and yards on the reverse side. Used by the brits, captured by the germans, and then recaptured.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i tried to make a good picture of the star ,so here it is .
i found 3 stars in total .
-on the bold
-on the iron piece that hold's the bolt
-on the rotating piece that puls the bold backwards
sorry for the bad picture ,but it is difficult to make it ,the stars are realy small and the metal is shiny
the picture is from the rotating piece ,that is not shiny .
greetings

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
foy1944; thanks very much for taking the picture. As you note it is very small and hard to see. Is it possible to take another picture and post a larger version of it? the pic is very small so the image in the pic is too small to see exactly what it looks like.
Having seen amny different Israeli marks that are the Star of David, I'll have to say that the pic doesn't really look like the others that I've seen. but, wihtout a clear pic it is hard to say what it is....

Bob

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I was referring to MGs used by the Germans in WWII since those are the weapons that foy1944 appears to be interested in, but I didn't make that clear. During WWII the germans used the Chauchat under the model designation MG156(f) and also used the 1914 Hotchkiss. I imagine that after they invaded France they had a large supply of 8 Lebel to use along with eveything else to keep such guns functioning.
The Vickers range scales are interesting in that they all double up with different calibers on each side. I have a varioety of different scales. The 7.92 often have .303 MkVII on the other side.

Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts