Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been collecting Arisakas for the past 9 or so months and decided it would be fun to set up at a local show and bring some of the collection. I was able to help teach alot of people about the rifles, meet many fellow collectors, and have a pretty good time! Brought along the latest issues of Banzai and put some forms on the table to help interest new subscribers. The Type 44 had the most interest out of all the rifles. Interesting to watch people come over and just glance up and down to see if the mum was on the rifle.

I helped one young man buy a very nice 35th series Toyo Kogyo off a table. All matching, still staked, with only a ground mum. Would have bought it myself, but I had one already sitting on the table, haha!

Didn't pick any up myself, but I have a few leads I'll be following up on. I even had one gentleman who knew the name of the sailor on the bring back crate and papers I had at the table, and he gave me a number to contact to try and reach some of his family! We'll see what happens. The show was at Hamburg in Buffalo, NY and the crate has a Buffalo address on it.

All in all, a good time! I'll be set up at Rochester this weekend too if anyone forum members want to stop by and chat!

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Now that's a nice display ! Wish I had that many Arisaka's.

Another good attention getter at a gun show set up is having a flag displayed, even if its a cheap repro nylon flag. The Navy rising sun flag is always a good attention getter to draw people in. I find most people can recognize that flag right away.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,120 Posts
Nice! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Nice display. I know a lot of hard work goes into putting on a nice informative display such as yours. Good on you for doing it.

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,497 Posts
You have gotten a nice collection in 9 months. I think this is an excellent time to buy Japanese weapons. Folks are passing on their collections or war relics and demand still keeps the prices low. Dealers buy cheap. But interest remains. So a person can get a good collection of great examples at a decent price now, and as more become available and are sold back and forth the prices will continue to rise. Nice collection.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Good display!! You've got a nice cross section of Arisakas, boss. Good looking bayonets and other items for decoration on the tables. Panzer's suggestion works. A flag sticking up high always help mark your table location for guys to say, "That guy right over there, under that Japanese flag. He buys all those kinda guns." I've used that before and I know it helps get people to your tables. A repro Rising Sun for a tablecover would set your stuff off I think. Buy some extras and sell them too. Get some fortune cookies to munch on for the slow stretches and be suprised at what you will get in them. Again, nice guns.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! Now certainly is the time to buy these rifles. Nice matching, original examples can still be found for affordable prices even at auctions. Most of my collection has been picked up in PA and at gun shows here in NY.

I'll have a set up at the Rochester show this weekend too, so I hope I can see at least a few forum members there! Not sure how many Upstate NY folks there are here.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That is a very nice display. I have only one, a Type 38 and a bayonet. Hope to someday get a couple more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Nice display! I used to display at the Tulsa shows and know how much work is involved in doing that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nice display. Word to the wise - if you hang your bayonets that close to the edge of your table one might walk off someday! I put smaller things in the middle and back by me or in my glass cases - Just saying it happens...
When I display some of my pieces I mount bayonets on the rifles, not free standing. Makes it easier to keep track of them so they don't grow legs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.