Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If ammo prices get much worse I'm going to have to switch brands.

I've been using Romanian, when I first bought it, it was $2.50 a box.

From a local store its over $5 a box.

Aim still has it for 3 but sheesh.

50's Yugo has been unreliable for me, however accurate, I may have to switch to it though.

What's the status on Samco's Portuguese 8mm? I think I heard of some corroded stuff comming from them.

I've only got 400-450 rounds of 8mm left :(

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Samco FNM

If you mean the N/C stuff in 400 round lots, it used to be very clean, was always very accurate for me in a 98K & some Yugo mausers. However, of late I have seen some reports on grungy stuff, mixed headstamps being delivered. Expensive for milsurp though, maybe not worth the money any more, seems like they're scraping the bottom of the ammo crate. OTOH, corrosive 8mm is heading past 20 cents a round!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I think if the price they are asking they better have some DAM good ammo. When the price was lower I would let a little tarnish or a little rust slip by. I say a premium price It better be a premium AMMO.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Unfortunately, it's reality now. Even though reloading components are climbing in price now also, the point is coming when it will be cheaper to reload than shoot formerly 'cheap' milsurp ammo.
Poot

·
Silver Bullet member
566 Posts
Ammo prices worse? Well you can't get surplus for .07 a round anymore, but it can still be had for .30 -.35 on the average. Unless your a belt feeder, that's still pretty reasonable. When I go to the range, I usually only shoot 50 - 100 rounds anyway. I'm not there to see how many rounds I can spend or how fast. I did stock up over the last few years, not a lot, but what I could reasonably afford. It should last me a few years anyway. Heck, I bought a lot rifles for $ 100 - 200 a piece a few years ago. Now they are selling for 2-3x that... A few years ago a gallon of milk was less that $ 2.00, gas was anywhere from 1.09 - 2.00, so on and so forth. Everything's getting more expensive, but I am still able to enjoy some range time 2-3 times a month...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
At least we're not paying as much as the American caliber shooters (.300, .338, ALL weatherby's, etc.), because their ammo costs about 2-4x that of my Boxer-cased x54r from Privi-Partizan.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,948 Posts
Ammo prices worse? Well you can't get surplus for .07 a round anymore, but it can still be had for .30 -.35 on the average. Unless your a belt feeder, that's still pretty reasonable. When I go to the range, I usually only shoot 50 - 100 rounds anyway. I'm not there to see how many rounds I can spend or how fast. I did stock up over the last few years, not a lot, but what I could reasonably afford. It should last me a few years anyway. Heck, I bought a lot rifles for $ 100 - 200 a piece a few years ago. Now they are selling for 2-3x that... A few years ago a gallon of milk was less that $ 2.00, gas was anywhere from 1.09 - 2.00, so on and so forth. Everything's getting more expensive, but I am still able to enjoy some range time 2-3 times a month...

One of my rifles will empty a 20 rd magazine in about 3 to 5 seconds. It is becoming expensive to shoot it. My income has not increased in the same manner as ammo prices.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Samco 8MM

I picked up a case of the Samco FNM about 5 months ago for a FN49 I purchased and didn't want to shoot corrosive ammo through it. I ordered the 800 rnd case and got mixed head stamps from the 40's, 60's and 70's. I called them and the exchanged the 40's ammo for 70's ammo and I feel they acted quickly and no questions asked. I didn't find the ammo that accurate out of the FN49. Still, $.30 per round of quality non corrosive 8MM isn't really that bad. They are selling corrosive 8MM for $.20 a round. I have 4 cases of the 70's and 80's Yugo sitting in the ammo pile so I really don't need to purchase any. I just wanted some that was non corrosive. I will try the FNM out of my 98/29 and some 98/22 and see how it shoots. It's getting that there isn't much choice as to what you can buy. It's still a lot cheaper then commercial ammo.
Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts