Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked this up today. It is in decent condition. Bolt does not match but from what I can tell everything else does. It is missing a firing pin spring. Anyone have an extra one? Their is very little rust on the rifle. What really made my day was the MUM was still there! No import stamps at all either. I cannot find out when it was roughly made but I'm going to take a guess and say 1941?? Just a guess.

James

·
Silver Bullet member
15,653 Posts
Since I need a firing pin spring, are the Wolfee replacements good for these rifles or do they give them light primer strikes?
They are fine.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
I don't believe there is anyway to pin production down to a two month period, too many variables, equipment breakdowns, parts slow in arriving, etc, Of course with Nagoya Fred had Japanese weapons records made at Nagoya by FY so Don was able to break these into series by calendar year. Bottom line is whatever you want to believe, makes you happy.....

·
Silver Bullet Member
292 Posts
I found a decent series 5, too, for a good price at a show recently. It is earlier than yours -- the serial is 19072. It hasn't been messed with, from the looks of it -- the screws appear to still be staked, and it is matching with the mum, but it's missing the rod. It has the earlier rear band but no monopod. From what I've read and from the way the stock and metal look, it never had a monopod, nor a dust cover.

The thing it, the rear sight has no anti-aircraft wings, but Honeycutt's book says it should. However, the metal looks like it never had them. I see there are no wings on the transitional one in this post. Could mine (and the one on this post) be correct as is or were the wings removed by someone after production?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a decent series 5, too, for a good price at a show recently. It is earlier than yours -- the serial is 19072. It hasn't been messed with, from the looks of it -- the screws appear to still be staked, and it is matching with the mum, but it's missing the rod. It has the earlier rear band but no monopod. From what I've read and from the way the stock and metal look, it never had a monopod, nor a dust cover.

The thing it, the rear sight has no anti-aircraft wings, but Honeycutt's book says it should. However, the metal looks like it never had them. I see there are no wings on the transitional one in this post. Could mine (and the one on this post) be correct as is or were the wings removed by someone after production?
Well I believe mine came with them and someone took them off because both screws were about to fall out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts