Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject of a 1st series T-99 came up in another topic. These seem to be pretty desirable rifles as a few collectors have thrown some big $$ at some recently, including a pair of fellas that drove the bidding on one I had for sale to well over $1200! And it had a m/m dust cover - correctly marked but mismatched. My keeper is not quite as nice as the 1st on the other post, but I like it. Full mum, all the goodies & 100% matched, and with staked screws!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
$1200 for a first series that had a mismatched cover???!! Man I hope theses guys are around when I need to sell something.

Rob, nice rifle you have there. Jon

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, closer to $1250! It did have the same style sling as this one. That one had the "Cav" swivel however. This one has the standard swivel.
Yeah, I hope those two guys are anxiously awaiting my next item for sale!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
$1250...wow...I though it would be a while till I saw em' get that high. It's a little more understandable with the calvary swivel, but in my experience 1st series are among the more common to find matched and mumed. Well better their money than mine! Jon

·
Registered
333 Posts
Very nice A-dogs, very nice. Those big spenders never seem to be there when I'm selling, only when I want to buy ;)

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice A-dogs, very nice. Those big spenders never seem to be there when I'm selling, only when I want to buy ;)
Yes, don't they always seem to be around then. That was the case when this sweet T-38 Tokyo (no-series, just for you Doss) was listed on an auction site. Well, this is one rifle I just had to have. My max bid was over $1K but I got it for $760. My very first firearm was an early Tokyo - much like this. My Dad brought it home for me after paying $20 for it (1967). It had a Kokura T-97 sniper bolt in it. I ruined the rifle by re-finishing the stock & later sold the bolt to Harry Derby for more than 10X what the rifle had cost. Still - I learned my lesson about refinishing and had been looking for another nice Tokyo ever since. Seems I wasn't the only one with such thoughts and the bidding war was on. I really breathed a sigh of relief when I finally won it. It was listed as being all matched but the seller couldn't get the floorplate off so that was an unknown. I was relieved to find that it was just dried grease keeping the plate from releasing and, yes, the rifle is totally matched by the assy #. Made me a very happy camper!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya know, every time I look at this rifle I wonder how the hell it made it through all those years without all the wear & tear you see on most of these. This guy is about 1/4 of the way through Tokyo production. It has the "B" proof and has the 6 groove rifling. The bore is excellent as well, BTW. This guy was made before WW1. Some how, it was given very good care for all these years & will continue to receive the same good care!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are aware that you MUST sell this Tokyo to me asap.
That's right, you saw this beauty at the Phoenix show last year. I'll bring my T-26 to this next show & no, you can't have it!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Nice rifles Rob, it really is amazing that some have survived in such pristine conditon.

I have posted pictures before, and will do again of the two T44's that are two numbers apart; one is the LOC marked carbine, it was well used and the other is near new, couldn't have seen much if any action. Two carbines, probably finished within minutes of each other, took very different courses in their lives.

I do wish they could talk.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw something very similar on an auction site a while back. There was a Tokyo (no series) T-38 carbine that was within 20 numbers of mine. Mine is as close to being "like new" as you could ever expect to find but the other poor guy was thrashed. And, they were surely in the same room, together, for some time at the arsenal. Too bad they can't record the things they have been through. Then again, maybe that's a good thing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts