Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned this Colt Combat Commander since 1982; I paid $325 for way back then. I am owner #3; first was a DEA Agent, the a Coast Guard LT, and me; a retired CWO4 and current Customs Officer. Sometime in the life of my Commander it was fit with a government hammer. I prefer the "old school" look for it; so I ordered a Commander hammer from Dave Berryhill on 12/2. Fast and prompt, not to mention very helpful, Dave sent an e-mail saying shipped on the 3rd; I received it on the 5th! Great Service Dave, thanks. I am looking for Colt 1970 grips for it.

Anyway I also ordered a Commander grip safety the same day and finally (after receiving shipping notification on the 3rd) got it today. I like the classic look and feel of it. Here are a few photos; and yes, I did the dummy scratch about 23 years ago!

Berryhill Colt Blued Commander Hammer

Left side

Right side

unfinished knife blade with a Eagle head carved on a piece of stag antler. Carving by Dave Marlatte of Ohio; knife blade master knife maker AC "Tony" Metsala. Earlier this year Tony's shop burned to the ground; my friend (and knifemaker/purveyor) AT Barr had this blade for sale. It is a 3 bar damascus blade that AT donated to help raise funds for Tony. Nifty knife blade; I need to finish it.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Stunning!!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Beautiful pistols...classic good looks...can't beat that...thanks for sharing.
Flakshield
PS: I'll have to dig out my Officer's Combat and Detective Special now.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks...gun control to me is the ability to hit what you are aiming at; and I sure don't need three 12 round magazines of .40 S&W or 15 round magazines of 9mm to do it!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speaking of classic handguns; here are a few more of my favorites:

6" S&W Model 29

4" Colt Python

1962 vintage Colt Cobra

and finally, and it shoots - will hit center body mass at 10 yards, a Smith and Wesson Model 1-1/2 Centerfire in .32 S&W. I found this at an Antique Show in Charleston, SC back in January, for under $200; had to carry it in the cabin of the airplane (along with my duty gun) because of theft issues involving baggage at the airport:

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
Love the 1911 and 1911A1 style pistol in 45ACP and these shown are beautiful examples.
Very nice assortment of revolvers there cwo. Very nice Python

·
Silver Bullet member
15,678 Posts
I really like the Commander; my favorite is in .38 super.

·
Registered
476 Posts
that's a sweet cobra. who did the finish work and the grips? i love those **** specials. I have 4 or 5 of the damn money suckers.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Although I haven't spent the money for a letter from Colt the finish appears to be original although they supposedly didn't do this type finish in 1962 I can't find any evidence that it was aftermarket. After the first of the year I will get a letter from Colt. I traded a CZ550 American .30-06 (I paid $300 for it), a CZ452 full Mannlicher Stocked .22 lr carbine ($340) and a $150 knife for both the Python (1984 gun) and the Cobra...I think I did ok don't you?

·
Registered
984 Posts
That is a fine looking Colt...........I wish I had NEVER sold mine. It was a Colt Lwt. Commander in 45 ACP that I bought just as graduated from the Police Academy in 1976 and sold it to another officer in 1983. He still has it but will not part with it!:mad: I did manage to get back my 1953 Colt 1911A1 .38 Super from a friend that I traded it to years ago just before cancer took him away.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
Although I haven't spent the money for a letter from Colt the finish appears to be original although they supposedly didn't do this type finish in 1962 I can't find any evidence that it was aftermarket. After the first of the year I will get a letter from Colt. I traded a CZ550 American .30-06 (I paid $300 for it), a CZ452 full Mannlicher Stocked .22 lr carbine ($340) and a $150 knife for both the Python (1984 gun) and the Cobra...I think I did ok don't you?
Ha Ha. Yeah I think you did okay. That Python is worth more by itself. Lucky Dog. What type of grips?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Those older Colt pistols are really well made. I love shooting them once in a while.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Very nice Colt. You should show it off on 1911forum.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
question about my Commander

Are the markings on my Commander unusual? It has "Colt's Commander Model" on the right side, sn#70BS2010, and a "Z" on the trigger guard. On the left side in has "Commander model" with a star on either side. Aren't these markings unusual for an all steel model? It also has a very high polish gloss blue finish on the slide, slide stop lever, and the safety, reminiscent of a Python. It also has a lanyard ring on the bottom.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts