Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the Star Model B I just received from AIM this afternoon. It was exactly as advertised and I think it actually looks a little better than the one they show on their website. There are 14 pictures below so it may take some time to load.

The Star Model B is based off a simplified version of the 1911 design. It holds 8+1 rounds of 9mm Luger. This one was built in 1943 during WWII under contract from Bulgaria. It was captured and refinished by the Russians who then stored it for later use or sale. There is no import mark that I have found.

Here it is as it came from AIM:

When I pulled the gun out it was dripping with oil. I wiped down the outside to take a few "before" pictures.

The bluing is very deep and is pretty much 100% throughout the gun. There are a few spots where there is a nick or two but nothing major. As you can see in this picture the bluing almost fills in the engravings just like the one pictured on AIM's website.

The wood grips were in really good shape, they were just covered in oil and grease.

This is what they looked like underneath.

This is the grease that was covering all of the gun.

Here it is fully disassembled.

A close up of the interior grease.

Here's the gun after removing the grease and cleaning up the wood on the grips.

In case anyone was interested in what the sights look like.

All in all I am very pleased with it. Everything on the gun works great. I read some stories about the Russian rebuilds having issues with the safety functioning due to the mix-matched parts but this one works fine. It's pouring the rain right now (which it hasn't really done in over a month here in KY) so I can't shoot it yet. I've got a training thing this weekend with the Army so it will probably be late Sunday or later on during the week before I can post a range report. I'm looking forward to shooting it, it has the exact same feel as a 1911. I'm going to take it in to my local gun store sometime this week and see if it fits in a standard 1911 holster. Parts may not be interchangeable between the Model B and a 1911 but it looks like it should fit in a 1911 holster perfectly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went ahead and bit the bullet because i missed out on the first batch. I hope mine looks as good as yours It should be here tomorrow... Nice

·
Registered
147 Posts
re: Star Model B

Hello...

That is a very nice Star B you have there. I do not think the $299 is prohibitively high for such a nice pistol. If I didn't have one myself, I might spring for one. I had one of the fake Nazi stamped Model Bs, but traded it on a rifle. The one I have left is an LPN marked post-war German gendarmarie pistol.

Cheers,
Gary

·
Gold Bullet member
2,598 Posts
nice gun, it has the same system of the argentine Ballester Molina

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,774 Posts
It is a nice pistol. You did well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hope you don't mind me adding mine I go it in today and i am impressed It's in better shape that i had hoped and very solid...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks great, was yours covered in oil too? Your grips look like they're in even better shape than mine were.

This place sells grips:
http://www.gungripguys.com/Star/Index.htm

You have to specify that you have a Model B with the lanyard loop so they can make the appropriate cutouts for it. The don't do checkering unfortunately :( Smooth wood only but the prices are really good. I've been thinking of ordering a set, I really want checkered grips though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
soaked in oil and the trigger is in white. I was suprised that the grips where in such good shape.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got mine years ago, but the finish looks identical. My grips were in worse shape. I don't think I bought mine from there, but I found some unfinished smooth grips.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's very small under the front of the receiver ahead of the trigger guard. And it's hardly noticeable. It's another thing i like about it.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,774 Posts
Its nice when those marks are not noticeable.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd just like to add that the Star Model B fits great in all the 5" 1911 holsters I tried out today. I took home an adjustable Bianchi Accumold one. I was thinking about going with a nice brown leather one but decided I'd hold out for one online.

The only fitment difficulty was with the hammer cocked. The top strap on the leather holsters were not flexible enough to go around the hammer. As I don't intend to carry this gun around with a round in the chamber that's not a problem. I intend to carry it hunting and to the range with a full magazine but no round in the chamber. The exposed firing pin is too much of a liability for me to trust it cocked and locked.

NeedmoreAmmo, I actually couldn't find the import mark until you mentioned where it was. It's very difficult to see!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep I like it when you can't notice them. I have a P38 I got from SOG and i looke for some time before i found the import mark 3 little letters stamped very sall on the underside of the slide on the edge of the rail I almost thought they forgot to stamp it they are very small.

·
Registered
613 Posts
What is the maximum length that the magazine can feed?
1.169? for 9x19mm
Or 1.300" for Largo in the magazine?

I have Super Bs that will take the 1.3" in the magazine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts