Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this M39 for a couple of years now, and since it's my only M39 I find I shoot this one a lot. I usually run PPU brass ammo through it, with occasional Bulgarian surplus and now more recently with hand loads I am developing for the rifle. The bore is shiny but only in decent condition rifling. This rifle saw some action from what I can tell. It is a 1941 VKT. It has two SA stamps. It sits in a rounded finger jointed stock. It was built from an antique receiver. The bolt is scrubbed of numbers but has the last 4 of the serial on the bolt knob. The floorplate also has the last 4 digits. The buttplate has no numbers. I love the stock on this rifle. It has some character. There is "damage" and there are plugs in it.

I took it out on my private range this past weekend. I sighted it in at 50 yards using my new loads. I tried three different C.O.L.'s using the same bullet and powder charge. I didn't experiment with too many rounds, just 5 shot groups of each. The accuracy was not greatly effected between 2.885 and 2.92, but the 2.95 COL rounds seemed to have the worst grouping... though that could be chalked up as my fault, since I only shot 5 rounds. I then proceeded to shoot 15 rounds at a target I had set up at approximately 400 yards. The target was 2 sheets of building plans (modern day blue prints) with a splatter target in the middle. I set the rear sight for 350 yards, as I know the rifle shoots high already. The rounds are 174 gr FMJ BT Hornady's. I adjusted the rear sight after every 5 rounds, as it was hitting high on the target still. I use a 6 o'clock hold. Anything else and you can't see the target! I hope to get some better results with more practice, and once I dial in the load a little more. I have also never tweaked this rifle and when I got it I did take it out of the stock.

The orange circle is of the rounds from the M39. Note that I was adjusting my sights, hence tracking down the paper. I marked the groups with colored dots. The other circle is from my Dad's 1939 Tula M91/30 recent import. The bore is mint on it. These shots were taken with the bayonet on as I never adjusted the sight to shoot with it off. I used bulgarian surplus for all 10 rounds. I think at least one round hit off the paper high on the wood. Who ever says a Russian refurb can't shoot or isn't accurate, just show em this!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Yeah I saw that one too. A nice pick up! I wish I had the cash right, as theres at least one of those I wouldve bought today! Instead Im saving for a trip to the CMP North store later this month.
She had some nice ones today. Last week she posted a bunch of antiques but none of them really excited me - they sure went fast. I'd love to look through her warehouse.

Those Sk.Ys with the matching stock are getting harder and harder to find. I didn't really want to buy another M39 right now, but I knew that if I waited, I'd probably end up paying a good bit more for it when I finally pull the trigger so ... It's only money - you never see an armored car at a funeral!

·
Registered
829 Posts
She had some nice ones today. Last week she posted a bunch of antiques but none of them really excited me - they sure went fast. I'd love to look through her warehouse.

Those Sk.Ys with the matching stock are getting harder and harder to find. I didn't really want to buy another M39 right now, but I knew that if I waited, I'd probably end up paying a good bit more for it when I finally pull the trigger so ... It's only money - you never see an armored car at a funeral!
well if you want to part with that M39, just let me know. I'd love to get it from you. :) Gorgeous rifle sir!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I usually run PPU brass ammo through it, recently with hand loads I am developing for the rifle. I took it out on my private range this past weekend. I sighted it in at 50 yards using my new loads. I tried three different C.O.L.'s using the same bullet and powder charge. The accuracy was not greatly effected between 2.885 and 2.92, but the 2.95 COL rounds seemed to have the worst grouping... though that could be chalked up as my fault, since I only shot 5 rounds.
So far, what is your load data been? I've just got my hands on some brass, and projectiles (147gr + 174gr) to start working up a load. Also what dies are you using? I've seen that rcbs makes a .311 expanding die, but want to get a neck only sizing to get the most out of my brass since I had to purchase PPU loaded rounds for it. Thanks!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far, what is your load data been? I've just got my hands on some brass, and projectiles (147gr + 174gr) to start working up a load. Also what dies are you using? I've seen that rcbs makes a .311 expanding die, but want to get a neck only sizing to get the most out of my brass since I had to purchase PPU loaded rounds for it. Thanks!
Well I buy loaded PPU ammo, shoot it, and then reuse the brass. Right now I am FL sizing the brass as I didn't realize I could get away with only neck sizing. I have RCBS dies and it came with both .308 and .311 expander buttons. Right now I only have 20 cases that have been reloaded 4 times. The rest are on their first or 2nd load. So far so good.

I'm still trying different loads, but right now I have 174gr FMJ BT bullets loaded with 50gr of H380 2.885 COL and using Fed LR primers. This is a max listed load. Also these are .312 dia bullets.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
well if you want to part with that M39, just let me know. I'd love to get it from you. :) Gorgeous rifle sir!
Ha! I'm keeping it for now, although as noted in another post I am a little disappointed with the condition. Don't get me wrong, it's a great rifle with a bore and bolt that are in excellent shape, but the bluing is not as represented by the seller and the stock has some issues.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for sharing! on paper!! good job
Thanks. Now that I have the sights dialed in for the range elevation, I'm going to work on the windage adjustment. I'm also going to fine tune the trigger (probably first). It's ok for a Finn. I definitely have a bunch of other Finn rifles and one Russian that have better triggers than this one though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.