Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired this type 99. The rifle came from the home of a deceased veteran.

When I got it, it had a duffle cut stock which I since repaired. (How did I do? I've never attempted this before. I still need the full length top hand guard.) it has an intact mum but is missing the bipod and the AA sights. Missing hardware on the front barrel band. The bolt is matching with the rest of the bolt components but not with the rifle.

Figure even with its faults it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I havent been able to test fore yet. Anybody here make theor own brass from 30-06? Is it a hard process?

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nice looking rifle. Converting 30-06 to 7.7 Japanese is really simple. Annealing the brass may not be necessary but I like to do it anyways. Then I cut the neck to about a 16th of an inch of the final desired length. I then run the brass through the full length sizing die. Last I use the case trimmer.

That's the summerized version, if you are asking I assume you done some research on the matter. Also a small tubing cutter works great for cutting the brass. I've seen videos of guys using small chop saws but that requires deburring so you don't save any time imo.

This is what I use to make my initial cut.
Automotive design Font Automotive wheel system Auto part Automotive tire

·
Registered
975 Posts
That’s a great price nowadays. You should have no issues converting 30-06, lots of information on the process. BTW, your rifle is a series 6 and didn’t come with a monopod, AA wing arms or dust cover. Not sure if something this early in series 6 would have the round screw in short cleaning rod, what does your have? Unfortunately the stock is sanded but should make a great shooter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s a great price nowadays. You should have no issues converting 30-06, lots of information on the process. BTW, your rifle is a series 6 and didn’t come with a monopod, AA wing arms or dust cover. Not sure if something this early in series 6 would have the round screw in short cleaning rod, what does your have? Unfortunately the stock is sanded but should make a great shooter.
That's good to know! I was worried I was missing pieces. It didn't come with a cleaning rod either. And I had to replace the front barrel band since the original was heavily butcherd with the duffle cut. The original front section was missing as well. What year is mine? How can you tell the stock was sanded?

·
Registered
975 Posts
It’s easy to tell this stock was sanded/refinished as the finger grooves no longer have an edge and the color is different, it should be a reddish brown (I’m a dude and not as good at describing colors as my wife is!).

Behind the bayonet lug is the cleaning rod release, after looking closer, yours looks like the square type. When you repaired the cut, did you notice if the stock was drilled for a standard or short cleaning rod?

Also keep an eye out for an upper hand guard, you should have a full length guard, to the front band.

If you have the itch, a respected member here (Ithilsdorf) put together a website to help ID different configurations/versions of Type 99 rifles.
Check it out: A Guide to the Japanese Type 99 Arisaka

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s easy to tell this stock was sanded/refinished as the finger grooves no longer have an edge and the color is different, it should be a reddish brown (I’m a dude and not as good at describing colors as my wife is!).

Behind the bayonet lug is the cleaning rod release, after looking closer, yours looks like the square type. When you repaired the cut, did you notice if the stock was drilled for a standard or short cleaning rod?

Also keep an eye out for an upper hand guard, you should have a full length guard, to the front band.

If you have the itch, a respected member here (Ithilsdorf) put together a website to help ID different configurations/versions of Type 99 rifles.
Check it out: A Guide to the Japanese Type 99 Arisaka
The release is square but this is not the original lug. The original one was butchered. Good to know about the sanding for future purchases! I am looking for the hand guard. No luck yet.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I recently picked up a T99 too, and from my experience NOT having the cleaning rod and monopod (not bipod) is pretty much the rule. Ditto for the dust cover. I'm surprised nobody mentioned that your T99 appears to be a later series that wouldn't have a monopod. It would be a machine block of steel on the underside of the barrel band, so not having a monopod is correct for your rifle. Nice find!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts