Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of M96's and M38's have their muzzle threaded to attach a "blank firing device". Over the years I've seen those threads protected by black and yellow plastic nuts/bushings. I'm sorry to say that I never took the opportunity to check if these were threaded on the inside. Are these original and/or were there originals in metal?
At least ... I suppose that there was originally some protection not to damage those threads. Is there a source where they could be found?

·
Registered
34 Posts
supplies exist

Try Samco global arms. I believe they are original, polyethelyne, and run about $1.75 each. There is a penalty at Samco for orders under $25.

Best,

Newbie Walt

·
Registered
487 Posts
the best thread protectors are the after-market metal ones which allow you to also use the bayonet.

The originals were made of plastic tubing. You don't need an "original" one as you can replicate the same thing with hardware store clear plastic tubing of the proper diameter. This protects the threads, but neither home-made ones nor the plastic originals would allow you to mount the bayonet without risking damage to the threads, and the bayo rattling around on the muzzle.

I usually get he metal ones and use emmery paper to "age" them so they don't look out of place on the rifles with worn finish. The swedes never used them, but they look better than buggered threads or "fantasy" flash-hiders and don't alter the rifle in any way.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I got a metal thread protector, I know it's not original, from Numerich arms,(Gun Parts Corp or whatever they call themselves these days) I cannot remember but seems like part and shipping was around $15. It looks nice, so I installed using some Locktite so it will not come loose easily.

The only downside is the muzzle end is rounded instead of nice and square like a normally crowned barrel, but it looks better than yellow plastic.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Theoretically, if you were a heretic, you could solder it on and then use a lathe to cut the metal thread protector back flush to the crown and you would have a basically indiscernable conversion from an M96B to an M96... ;)

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,614 Posts
The biggest problem that I see with the steel aftermarket muzzle caps is that they do not screw down flush with the threaded shoulder of your barrel . If the muzzle cap has the first few threads removed , it may seat flush with the barrel . Most of the rounded end on the muzzle cap can be machined off nearly square . There are differant makers of these muzzle caps , some of which are to short for any remachining .

Personally , I remove the muzzle caps before firing any of my rifles . Used only to protect the threaded barrel while in storage . I would advise against using LocTite on the muzzle cap . The choice is up to each individual .

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Big C to answer your question the original poly protectors were not threaded. They were tight enough for a friction fit. Here is a photo of an original thread protector as well as one of the non original metal muzzle caps. What looks like threads on the inside of the poly thread protector are just grooves left by the threads on the muzzle. Swedish dummy round in the background for size comparison.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts