Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a muzzle cover that has a crack in it and I was wondering if it can be repaired? It is a bakelite cover. Also, it has a red ring around the end of it and it is original to it, any idea why this one would have a red ring?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
Never seen one with a red ring. Picture?

On the repair, if it is really bakelite cyanoacrylate may work; if it is the normal plastic cover, I have not found any glue/cement/solvent that will repair the crack.

I would suggest just leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I remember sometime ago talking with "Ojisan" Masey in KC about that cracking. He inidcated it was caused by the muzzle cover being left attached over the front sight for extended periods of time causing it to crack and stretch. I found one like that and he said to cautiously immerse it in boiling water for short periods of time to soften the plastic or bakelite to reposition it back together. Then immediately use superglue and accelerator to set it...Then-to quote that gentleman-put it on the muzzle but DON'T secure it around the front sight again."

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never seen one with a red ring. Picture?

On the repair, if it is really bakelite cyanoacrylate may work; if it is the normal plastic cover, I have not found any glue/cement/solvent that will repair the crack.

I would suggest just leave it alone.
It might be a plastic one then, Im not sure, it feels like bakelite. How do I tell the materials apart? I will get a pic for you when I get a new battery for the camera. It should be by thursday. I am positive that it is original, it was a gift and

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
Bakelite is usually brown or black, has a grainy composition and is quite brittle; it also will not soften with heat.

The 'usual' covers are some type of early plastic, tan or olive in color.

Adogs has posted pictures of his covers, the bakelite covers are quite scarce; if you have one, don't mess with it.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
Its most likely a plastic one then. Its olive in color. I couldnt see Adogs pictures on the thread.

BTW, how much would a brass cover run usually?

Brass, $100 plus or minus.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
FWIW

Bakelite is usually brown or black, has a grainy composition and is quite brittle; it also will not soften with heat.

The 'usual' covers are some type of early plastic, tan or olive in color.

Adogs has posted pictures of his covers, the bakelite covers are quite scarce; if you have one, don't mess with it.
Bill Masey had a bakelite that had cracked and he told me he repaired it with the above method. I doubt he lied when he told me that...Oh well.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
Bill Masey had a bakelite that had cracked and he told me he repaired it with the above method. I doubt he lied when he told me that...Oh well.
I'm not saying he or you lied, just that it was not bakelite.

Bakelite is used in high heat envirionments as an insulator, it won't soften in hot water. Lots of people call any old plastic "bakelite", but that does not mean it is; "Bakelite" is a specific phenolic resin, a trademarked name when introduced.

The Germans used a bakelite type resin to replace the aluminum rest bar under the barrel of their MP40 subgun; another plastic would have melted from the hot barrel.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
No idea, never seen a colored one. I think Jareths first idea is probably correct.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try it. I thought about melting it back together but I dont think it would be a very good idea and I may end up doing even more damage. I just need to make it so I can put it on a rifle once.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
Josh,
it is your cover, so do what you want. If you put it on a rifle, even once, and have the bad luck for the piece to break completely you will have lost it.

If you want one to use, buy a repro; save the original, JMHO.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Josh,
it is your cover, so do what you want. If you put it on a rifle, even once, and have the bad luck for the piece to break completely you will have lost it.

If you want one to use, buy a repro; save the original, JMHO.
I will get a repro, its not worth risking an original cover. I have it on a rifle right now, but its not secured on it(I am too afraid of it breaking).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.