Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wandering, why is it no one makes a brake for a 9130, only 38s? Other than the clamp on style. Or am i not looking hard enough?

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,799 Posts
Just my opinion, but here are a few ideas that pop into my head:

1) The brakes do not work, so why make more than one type?

2) Those who own M91/30's's tend to be a bit protective of them, and having the front sight sheared off as the brake launches itself out to the 50 yard line would piss people off.

3) The makers of the brakes have never heard of a M91, and wouldn't know the difference between a Mosin Nagant and a Mauser.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I only would put a muzzle brake on a full-auto. Only thing I put on a semi is a flash hider. Don't feel a bolt action under 50 cal. needs a brake.

-My 2¢-

·
Vendor
5,517 Posts
Some wusses like me have become more recoil sensitive as we aged. My son-in-law laughed at me because I put a muzzle break and Limbsaver recoil pad on my Saiga in 308. Yes, muzzle breaks do work! My 308 Saiga has the recoil of a 22 magnum. It's not pleasent to shoot bolt action centerfire rifles for me anymore. A screw on muzzle break for the rifles mentioned would alter the rifle, taking away historical value and making them non C&R, so there's not much of a market for them. If you really want one, use a clamp on.
Allan Schisel

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,799 Posts
Alan is correct in saying that a properly made muzzle-brake will work. However, I have yet to find anyone who has put one of the "ebay-special" muzzle brakes on an M44 or M38 and have it function properly. I have, however seen one launched downrange.

I use a PAST strap-on recoil pad when I shoot my Mosins, as well. Besides, the muzzle blast is half the fun. Especially watching the jaws drop at the other shooting ports.

·
Gold Bullet member+
334 Posts
You are much better off gettng a slip on recoil pad. It will help tame the recoil without reducing the glorious muzzle blast. A pad won't get launched down range and won't alter the rifle. Shermysan

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I put a muzzle break on an SKS strickly for looks and can't really tell a difference in recoil with or without it. I think that a Mosin Nagant fitted with one would be just plain ugly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts