Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a Charleville M1766 musket with the recommended .680 round balls. I haven't shot it yet but it looks to be a tight load when clean let alone when fouled. Lyman makes a .662 round ball mold. Would that be too small or a decent size? TIA

Carl

·
Registered
27 Posts
Carl,
Are you planning to load with a patch or no patch? Many smoothbores shoot good with no patch. The .680 might do well with no patch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Muskets be new to me. I was thinking using a patch if for no other reason than to keep the ball from rolling out. I'll have to see, but maybe a thin patch for the first shot or two then see if a naked ball is securely seated in the bore. Next week should be fun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I recommend going with the .662 and a Bore Butter lubed patch. It will help with the fouling, if not improve accuracy.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
With a .680 round ball, I wouldn't use much more than a .010 wonderlubed patch. I shoot Pedersoli's 1777 Charleville and Springfield 1816 with a .678 round ball, .010 patch and 80 gr FFg... once I figured out where to hold, both will put all the rounds in the center of the chest of a Transtar 2 target at 50 yards. I have .680, .678 and .662 round ball and various thickness of patches, and you might want to experiment to see what combination your musket likes. Wonderlube/Bore Butter type products do a superb job keeping the fouling soft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts