Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is all from Murphy and need to see more details for sure.
Chris Murphy

@ChrisMurphyCT

NEWS: We have a deal. Today a bipartisan group of 20 Senators (10 D and 10 R) is announcing a breakthrough agreement on gun violence - the first in 30 years - that will save lives. I think you’ll be surprised at the scope of our framework. 1/ Here’s what it includes:

2/ Major funding to help states pass and implement crisis intervention orders (red flag laws) that will allow law enforcement to temporarily take dangerous weapons away from people who pose a danger to others or themselves.

Chris Murphy

@ChrisMurphyCT

·
1h

3/ Billions in new funding for mental health and school safety, including money for the national build out of community mental health clinics.

@ChrisMurphyCT

·
1h

4/ Close the “boyfriend loophole”, so that no domestic abuser - a spouse OR a serious dating partner - can buy a gun if they are convicted of abuse against their partner.

@ChrisMurphyCT

·
1h

5/ First ever federal law against gun trafficking and straw purchasing. This will be a difference making tool to stop the flow of illegal guns into cities.

Chris Murphy

@ChrisMurphyCT

·
1h

6/ Enhanced background check for under 21 gun buyers and a short pause to conduct the check. Young buyers can get the gun only after the enhanced check is completed.

@ChrisMurphyCT

·
1h

7/ Clarification of the laws regarding who needs to register as a licensed gun dealer, to make sure all truly commercial sellers are doing background checks.

@ChrisMurphyCT

·
1h

8/ Will this bill do everything we need to end our nation’s gun violence epidemic? No. But it’s real, meaningful progress. And it breaks a 30 year log jam, demonstrating that Democrats and Republicans can work together in a way that truly saves lives.

Chris Murphy

@ChrisMurphyCT

·
1h

9/ So grateful to
@JohnCornyn

@kyrstensinema

@SenThomTillis

@SenToomey

@Sen_JoeManchin

@SenBlumenthal

@SenatorCollins

@LindseyGrahamSC

@ChrisCoons

@TeamHeinrich

@BillCassidy
and others for their amazing work to get us this far.

Chris Murphy

@ChrisMurphyCT

·
1h

10/ Drafting this law and passing it through both chambers will not be easy. We have a long way before this gets to the President’s desk. But with your help and activism, we can get this done. This time, failure cannot be an option.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,693 Posts
Thom Tillis and Burr are traitors to the NC voters.
Thankfully Burr is not running again but I will literally vote for anyone(even a Democrat) before I vote for Tillis again.

Better to see the snake in the grass than get bitten by the one you don't. You know how a dem will vote but Tillis is just another Romney like RINO who will betray his voters whenever it suits him.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thom Tillis and Burr are traitors to the NC voters.
Thankfully Burr is not running again but I will literally vote for anyone(even a Democrat) before I vote for Tillis again.

Better to see the snake in the grass than get bitten by the one you don't. You know how a dem will vote but Tillis is just another Romney like RINO who will betray his voters whenever it suits him.
Even without the full details this deal seems worse than I thought it would be. In Florida I am sure that Senators Scott and Rubio will vote for it and so it seems like a done deal if the democrats are ok with it. It is possible that they will not be. But I suspect Biden will announce it as a great victory. The most troubling is the boy friend loop hole, who is a dealer, straw purchases, and etc.

I will have to be very careful with what ever I say to my doctor and if I ever get depressed I see someone privately and pay the bill myself to keep it off the public record.

·
Registered
558 Posts
OK, exactly how do you stop the domestic abusers victim from buying a gun??

And, how can background checks be enhanced further if nobody ever turns the information in, or charges the kid, as we have seen almost all school shootings do, usually there are prior problems that are never acted upon.

Further, the "Wait" to do an enhanced check is going to be challenged as a civil rights problem, and, the age restriction on firearms has already been tossed by at least one federal court already.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,298 Posts
Even without the full details this deal seems worse than I thought it would be. In Florida I am sure that Senators Scott and Rubio will vote for it and so it seems like a done deal if the democrats are ok with it. It is possible that they will not be. But I suspect Biden will announce it as a great victory. The most troubling is the boy friend loop hole, who is a dealer, straw purchases, and etc.

I will have to be very careful with what ever I say to my doctor and if I ever get depressed I see someone privately and pay the bill myself to keep it off the public record.
We already have a law on straw purchases. Why will there be another one?

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,298 Posts
Majority of these shooters, the feds or CIA already knew they were threats.

The laws were already setup to prevent these shootings, just the law enforcement failed to do their jobs.

SO WHY ARE WE MAKING MORE LAWS? (rhetorical question)
Because it makes people feel good.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Who are the law makers trying to kidd saying "this will stop the illegal flow of guns into cities"? The gun traffic will still flow like a river in flood stage because there is big $$ to be made by it.
Another point in these proposed laws, they all appear to be targeted against law abiding, tax paying, God fearing citizens. Any one of us folks who might be accused of violating one of them could be faced with loss of our legally owned property and a possible jail sentence. Nothing (not one word) is mentioned about the person who commits the so called "mass shooting" and is caught alive. As it goes these days they can post a few bucks in bond money and are back on the streets within a few days. Hardened criminals have been released from prison and are circulating right now within our neighborhoods. This is what happens when certain elements in our society scream "defund the police" and "release prisoners". We are seeing the results of catering to this stupidity.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I'd hate to think of what happens when they achieve all their bs goals... Here we have the red flag passed not long ago and storage laws. After james holmes entered a movie theatre dressed in full body armor and gas mask etc lit a bunch of smoke bombs off and unloaded 3 or 4 weapons into the crowd it became mandatory to have background checks here.... And the background checks are not a bad thing.. But from what i am seeing its a pattern. Most if not all shooters are buying their own weapons or making them legally. So I'm not sure if implementation of further screenings will help anything at all.

These sickos need help and it seems nobody cares or cared to notice their problems before its too late. Here in denver there's more and more laws that just keep adding up.... And they arent helping whatsoever...

The democrats are using these tragedies to put into effect laws and restrictions that really do not help anybody... But to make the anti gunners feel better..

Things are getting bad here. People have been shooting up walmart stores. Grocery stores, theaters, schools and so on... Its getting so bad i will not enter a walmart unless I'm packing....

The bad guys will always have ways to get guns, make them or buy them from their fellow gang members...

We need more armed good guys.. More armed citizens willing to protect themselves and others from harm. An armed teacher couldn't hurt a gosh damned thing... It would only be good... But you see all these people acting as if a properly trained teacher with a firearm is a bad thing... I guess the only person that is allowed to have a gun in a school is a bad guy... Its so ass backwards it's ridiculous..

Sorry guys that's my rant. I could go on and on.. Colorado is truly the wild west.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Example:
I am writing to discourage you from voting for the so called "boyfriend loophole" provision. I am not condoning domestic violence, but restraining orders, the fact is the other party will lie and destroy one's right to own firearms forever. I think this is very dangerous territory. This can put weak and vulnerable adults at risk when the abuser/manipulator happens to be the one getting a restraining order.

People WILL LIE and this is NOT a very good idea. This will affect EVERYONE in a non-marital relationship and will cut down on who can own firearms.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Answering the door gun in hand is not a wise choice if the police are on the other side of the door. I would say he got a darwin award.
Because being put in a cattle car (or prison/jail and having my rights stripped for years with no due process to overturn a warrant less search and seizure) for wrong-think is still a less preferred outcome.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,693 Posts
It is my understanding, from reports emanating from the US, is that a warrant is to be a pre-requisite before police action can take place.
And tell me what judge is going to say no when an angry ex or neighbor who wants "revenge" calls in a phony tip of someone about to do something immediately? You think that judge is going to say no? You think they are going to sit and review it over a couple days or will they say "go get em"?

This is not a big deal for people with 3-4 guns.. some of us have tens or even hundreds of guns. Imagine cops busting down your door and taking all of them doing who knows what damage/scratches/whatever will be done to that property until it's sorted out that the tip be phony. Imagine all your neighbors seeing this.. imagine you get those guns back only to then be robbed by people who found out what all you owned as the police funnel out of your home with guns under either arm?

Red flag laws are going to be abused in a horrible way.. in the 19 states that already have them they are being heavily abused already with reports of people having their property stolen only to have it given back a week later when it was deemed a "swatting" incident.

All that said..

Once again you have involved your seemingly anti gun rights Aussie self with US gun laws.. WHY are you even on this forum? Every darn time there's anything bad for gun owners in the US, you pop in to defend the anti gun crap or at the least make it out to be not so bad. This is NOT your business. So what is it? Are you pissed that your nation neutered your gun rights so you feel everyone else should be the same? Do you hate guns? I'd really love to know since you repeatedly involve yourself in a negative fashion with the US 2nd Amendment.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Answering the door gun in hand is not a wise choice if the police are on the other side of the door. I would say he got a darwin award.
What if the person didn't know or believe that it was actually police on the other side of the door? Criminals have been known to pose as police at your door in order to gain illegal entry.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And tell me what judge is going to say no when an angry ex or neighbor who wants "revenge" calls in a phony tip of someone about to do something immediately? You think that judge is going to say no? You think they are going to sit and review it over a couple days or will they say "go get em"?

This is not a big deal for people with 3-4 guns.. some of us have tens or even hundreds of guns. Imagine cops busting down your door and taking all of them doing who knows what damage/scratches/whatever will be done to that property until it's sorted out that the tip be phony. Imagine all your neighbors seeing this.. imagine you get those guns back only to then be robbed by people who found out what all you owned as the police funnel out of your home with guns under either arm?

Red flag laws are going to be abused in a horrible way.. in the 19 states that already have them they are being heavily abused already with reports of people having their property stolen only to have it given back a week later when it was deemed a "swatting" incident.

All that said..

Once again you have involved your seemingly anti gun rights Aussie self with US gun laws.. WHY are you even on this forum? Every darn time there's anything bad for gun owners in the US, you pop in to defend the anti gun crap or at the least make it out to be not so bad. This is NOT your business. So what is it? Are you pissed that your nation neutered your gun rights so you feel everyone else should be the same? Do you hate guns? I'd really love to know since you repeatedly involve yourself in a negative fashion with the US 2nd Amendment.
I would say it is not your call to tell someone they should not be posting here. You are not a moderator and I have no problem hearing what staffy has to say. Next you will telling me I should not be posting.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts