Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a hard picture to see, but does the Arsenal mark look to be the Mukden Arsenal? I can confirm this later in the week, when I actually see the gun. I know the guy who has this rifle and He's gonna sell it. Is there aything I should know about the Mukden T99? What were it's features? Honeycutt doesn't have much info on the subject.

Thanks

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
Mukden 99

Can't tell from the picture, even after manipulating it a bit. Vague enough to look something like the mukden rings.

Only 5 or 7 of these have shown up; if it is genuine, great find.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,329 Posts
If you EVER see a Mukden 99 for regualr 99 price, BUY IT. That one is a Nagoya.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most (if not all) Mukden T-99 rifles have serial numbers with one or more zeroes as a serial number prefix.

C/

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
Mukden serial numbers

Seinen,
You are correct, most Mukden serial numbers reported have one, two, or 3 zeros as the first numbers, one was reported as just four digits, but the zeros could have been omitted as unimportant.

The numbers are on page 84 in the new T 99 book, along with a picture of the markings from Mike R.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
I thought I was correct about the zero(es) serial number prefixes on the Mukden T-99 rifles. This attribute would have clearly excluded the subject rifle from being a Mukden product.

C/

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
Yes it would, but I couldn't tell much from the picture; too dark and fuzzy.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,329 Posts
I was mainly looking at the wood. Was even going to venture that it was a 6th or 8th series, but didn't want to eat any crow.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had my dad stop over and check it out....He said Nagoya series 40.....His eyes are bad close up and he can't see the series to well. We all know it's not a series 40 but series 8 and 10 kinda look like series 40. BradB thinks series 8 so...I'll go with 8 :) Good guess guys.
Sorry for the false alarm. It is in nice shape totally matching. My dad did say that the front nose cap was welded to the to the barrel...Bad eyes again? Or is this common?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
Front band is pinned to the barrel, welded during mfg., late 7th and 8th series and up at Nagoya are pinned that way. You can't see the pin as the sides were filed and finished after attachment.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,329 Posts
Still nice

Nice examples of any series are getting harder to find. Wood looks to be original finish. If the seller would go for $150, you would be OK.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I passed on this one. It was nice...but I already have one. Have to save my money for the gun show this weekend.

The series 8 I have has a rear sling with 2 screws...SN 15xxx this one we were talking about is SN 30xxx and had a rear sling with one screw. I assume they changed this somewhere between the two SN's?

Brad was right...The wood was in real good shape. I passed on it and he already sold it for $160 :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts