Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually stick to full length M91s, but this one caught my eye so I rolled the dice on it.

It looked pretty rough at the show, but after a little TLC it really came to life as I was able to see more arsenal marks and original finish. All the parts came apart really easy so I think it was just really dirty. The original bluing under the stock line actually surprised me and there is even a non-trivial amount of blue on the exposed parts if you look close.

Please ignore the terrible shop light, I didn't think to grab a shot of the action in natural light.

The barrel date matches the receiver date and the barrel serial number matches the buttplate serial, so I'm willing to say that the stock is original to the rifle. Original stock marking is barely visible, looks like it just had a hard life rather than being refinished at any point. Most of the small parts are Izhevsk (bands, band springs, nose cap, sling slots). All of the trigger parts and interrupter are Izhevsk as well. The bluing/wear on the magazine matches the barrel and receiver as well as being a Izhevsk part.

Is this style of handguard correct for imperial rifles or is it strictly a 91/30 style handguard?

Things I know aren't matched:
Recoil bolt is imperial Tula.
Bolt is a mix of Imperial Tula and maybe one soviet part (not sure).
The follower is imperial Sestroryetsk.
Floorplate seems to have been scrubbed or has serial number markings worn away. I can't identify the arsenal mark.

The things that puzzle me:
It has an SA mark but the rear sight was never re-numbered. In fact there are no markings on the sight base besides the Izhevsk mark. I guess this was a remnant of the original ranges being marked on the earliest handguards, but it's odd that this wasn't corrected when it had the new 1908 leaf sight added.

Odd hole in the front end behind one of the sling slots. Might go with a possibly filled sling swivel location on the butt.

There's a bunch of small, odd markings including:
"F" on the top of the butt (which was covered in so much black gunk it almost seems like someone tried to fill it in).
Numerous "P" markings on the top of the wrist
Noticeable "3" on the receiver
Various very small marks on the bottom of the wrist like maybe "M", "N" or "K" the most prominent of which is an equally small "8"

That said, couldn't find any import marks on the metal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts. I'm really not sure what something like this should go for; I'm much more used to looking at M91 mix-masters that have been refurbished half a dozen times. Not only is this a dragoon, but this one just looks like it had some basic maintenance over the years and did get a major refurb like so many others.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
20,054 Posts
Butplatte does look original matching. Rear sight base is definitely for a dragoon. Handguard is 91/30, for sure. Can't say much about anything else without seeing bolt parts and font, mag plate font.

·
Administrator
8,085 Posts
The stock looks like one from a Austrian WW1 capture with the hole by the front sling slot for a sling hanger and the plug in the under side of the butt where the other hanger was mounted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Butplatte does look original matching. Rear sight base is definitely for a dragoon. Handguard is 91/30, for sure. Can't say much about anything else without seeing bolt parts and font, mag plate font.
thanks, I figured the handguard was 91/30, but none of the sources I could find would come out and say as much.

Well, I know the bolt isn't matching. Maybe you know what some of these odd marks are that aren't the usual arsenal
marks.

Is this what you wanted to see on the magazine? Arsenal mark is Izhevsk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stock looks like one from a Austrian WW1 capture with the hole by the front sling slot for a sling hanger and the plug in the under side of the butt where the other hanger was mounted.
Neat! I collect Austro-Hungarian material, do you have a photo of what the sling attachment hardware looked like?

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
My thoughts are the rifle is a bring back, with the hand guard and bolt added in the U.S. Not saying this is true, it's just my thought on the rifle.

According to this site, the hand guard on that rifle wasn't introduced until 1924: Mosin rifles and carbines stocks, handguards & hardware | m9130.info

Rifle stock was Austrian modified, and the rear sling swivel hole was later plugged. Not sure why it was plugged. Maybe the rifle is an early import, and the stock was de-Austria-fied (new word) by whatever country owned it and exported it.

I've seen a few rifles with the "3" on the receiver. I have no idea why it's there. I own an Izhevsk dragoon with the "3" on the receiver. I think I've seen it on Tula receivers as well. I've only seen it on Imperial era rifles. The "F" is a WW1 marking from a country other than Russia. Not sure about the "p" markings on the wrist.

Nice looking, unusual rifle. Hard to say what it would sell for. I have a Dragoon with no import markings. Stock doesn't have a crossbolt. Receiver has the "3" on it. Has 2nd pattern Dragoon hand guard. I was offered $800 (actually a little more--I was offered a Polish 91/26/98 as well) for it a few years ago, mainly as somebody wanted the stock.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seeing how it has an SA stamp, I figured the Finnish service explained some of the updates/features.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, I didn't see you said it was SA marked. Explains a lot of my questions on the rifle.
No worries! I was picture heavy already so I didn't feel adding one more just to show that one mark was needed.

What should a 2nd pattern (1908-1924) dragoon handguard look like? Is it like the 91/30 handguard without the metal tabs?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you both! That clarifies some of the vague information I've been able to find online, which is either pre-1908 focused or post 1930 focused. What are the chances of finding an original pre-1923 handguard? Pretty much zero I'm guessing?

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Thank you both! That clarifies some of the vague information I've been able to find online, which is either pre-1908 focused or post 1930 focused. What are the chances of finding an original pre-1923 handguard? Pretty much zero I'm guessing?
Pretty much no chance. It is possible, not highly probable. I've always seen them on rifles, and I've only seen a handful of rifles that still have them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
No need to worry about finding a pre-1923 dragoon handguard. The rifle is entirely correct as rebuilt and used in Finland. Its a very nice looking example by the way

·
Registered
22,659 Posts
I have nothing to add that hasn’t already been said, so I will just stick with “Nice find!”👍🏼

1 - 20 of 24 Posts