Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Gas
So here's a great example for you all. Decided to dabble into more antique obscure military cartridge rifles Pre WWI era. Thanks C&Arsenal for the endless list of guns to buy now.....
Anyways, I got a pair of 1886 Portugeus Kropatschek 8mm rifles, just got a hold of them and why I always suggest looking at taking apart your old rifles fellas.....The long rifle, wouldn't feed from the tube magazine, the lifter gate wouldn't go down. Something was physically blocking it.
Ok, took the front part of the tube mag off, spring out......I hear something rattling in the magazine tube..
Yeah here it is, an old .308 Winchester brass was slipped under the gate and keeping it from pressing down. The casing went forward enough for me to dump it out the front of the gun.
Someone must have been playing with the cool mag system but didn't have any 8x60mm Kropat lying around. LOL I just hope someone didn't fire a .308 in it!
The .308 was an oldy for sure, had verdigris and oil on it. Had been in there a LONG time. Rifle is covered with dirt/dust/grime/grease. Estate fresh, hasn't been cleaned in decades.

So what's your guys stories with wrong calibers forced into guns? There's gotta be a ton of these out there. Lets hear em!

·
Registered
381 Posts
One time when I was at the range, the people next to me were shooting a sporterized US M1903. They said it was in 308 so I assumed that it had been rebarreled. After they left, I picked up some of their brass and it looked like a straight wall cartridge. They had been shooting 308 in a 30-06 chamber.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's pretty wild. I can't ever recall that happening to myself but I have been misinformed about what a rifle is supposed to shoot. Fortunately, when in doubt, check it out. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well, back in the last century I sold a fellow a new Remington Model 742 .30-06 and mounted his Wal-Mart Special scope, sighted it with Remington Bronze Points. The second day of deer season he comes back mad as hell because he missed two big bucks at close range. I asked for the magazine so I could try it out at my range to see what was wrong. When I glanced at the rounds remaining in the mag they didn't look like Bronze Points. Thumbed one out and there was a .270 Winchester. He had grabbed someone else's mag in the dark camp and fired two shots. The other guy had spare mags for his rifle so he was ok. I promised I wouldn't drop a dime but, well, I lied. No damage to the Remington either. He wasn't impressed by me calling him "a lucky guy" and blamed my scope mounting for his missing the bucks because the gun had fired alright and the bullets were "almost the same size anyway."

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Earlier this year my friend bought a barreled action for a Japanese Special naval rifle from a local police supply store for next to nothing because it was in poor shape and the bolt was rusted shut. After soaking it in Kroil for a few days he put a cheater pipe on the bolt handle and levered it open, at which point a live .35 Whelen round popped out! He measured the chamber and found it unaltered and sized for 7.7mm Japanese but someone forced a .35 Whelen round into it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had bought a sporterized Norwegian Krag earlier this year and the seller said it was 6.5x55 as it should be so I took it out to shoot. I tossed in some Norma ammo and the bolt got within a mm of closing but was too much pressure for me to feel safe chambering. I tried a couple different brands of 6.5x55 I had, but no dice so it went back in the scabbard. I went home and tried 6.5x54, 6.5x53.5, and 6.5x53 but all to no avail. Even .308 wouldn't fit. Fortunately enough the seller was good enough to take it back. He still hasn't gotten around to casting the chamber.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I was at an auction a few months ago and there was a Chinese SKS list as being 6.5 Japanese. I looked it over and it was still 7.62x39mm. Later in the auction I bought 2 boxes of 6.5 Japanese ammo and in the box were 2 empty casings fire formed to 7.62x39mm. One of them casings had split back by the rim. The other was just bulged out.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Fired a .308 out of 7.7 japanese fire formed the neck and actual hit within a half inch of bullseye at 100 yards.
Keep the fire formed case as a reminder on shelf in garage.

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,484 Posts
Back in the 1960s, my grandad loaned me a rifle he borrowed from a friend. It was a sporterized 30-40 Krag but he didn't know that and said everyone had been shooting 30-30s in it. I don't remember shooting the wrong caliber but maybe I did. Somehow with the limited information available, I found it was a 30-40 and ordered a box with my paper route money. Before I finished the box, my granddad came and got it to take it back. At least it then had the correct ammo.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Not really a wrong cartridge, but a somewhat similar story: some years back I purchased a Ross M1910 rifle that was converted to a pump action rifle. The Sako made barrel was marked 6.3x57 on the barrel shank. It took nearly two years on the milsurps.com forum until someone came along who knew what this caliber is: .257 Roberts!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i seem to remember a story of a 6.5 jap (type 38?) having been rechambered, but not re barreled to 30-06. the very strong action and the shooter were not damaged, but the recovered bullet had been swaged out to 6.5 diam and about 2" long.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
in 3RD world countries, we found out the bad guys were taking our captured 308, ammo and shooting it in the RUSSIANS 91/30's. how can this be done, simple the RUSSIAN round is the same legenth as a 308. and the 308, head spaces on the shoulder. in the 91/30, witch is the same as the 7.62.and will fire & extract. I have done it many tomes to show that it can be done. any one else seen it done? you can never under estimate the bad guys!

·
Registered
405 Posts
in 3RD world countries, we found out the bad guys were taking our captured 308, ammo and shooting it in the RUSSIANS 91/30's. how can this be done, simple the RUSSIAN round is the same legenth as a 308. and the 308, head spaces on the shoulder. in the 91/30, witch is the same as the 7.62.and will fire & extract. I have done it many tomes to show that it can be done. any one else seen it done? you can never under estimate the bad guys!
I would expect the case to split, but maybe the pressure is low enough in the enlarged chamber so it does not happen

·
Registered
765 Posts
i seem to remember a story of a 6.5 jap (type 38?) having been rechambered, but not re barreled to 30-06. the very strong action and the shooter were not damaged, but the recovered bullet had been swaged out to 6.5 diam and about 2" long.
This was in an old NRA magazine.

I was at the range one day and had two identical 6.5 Arisakas, but one I had recut to 6.5x55. I reached in a box without looking, put a round in, and fired it. The recoil seemed a little mild and when I jacked the bolt back the case rolled across the table. It looked like it had a short neck. It was a 6.5x50 fire formed to a 6.5x55 chamber. That was the longest, thinnest 6.5x50 case I ever saw.

I rebarreled an Arisaka for a guy to 7.62x54R and made a new bolt with the Nagant style extractor. Apparently he did the same thing, more than one caliber on the shooting bench. He showed me a .300 Savage case that he had mistakenly fired in it and it looked just like the normal fired case from a .300 Savage that he had brought along. Without the claw extractor, it could not have been held against the face of the bolt, but the length from the shoulder to the base of the case is almost the same. Who knows? Never got around to investigating it, but it makes you wonder about the old rumors of "They can shoot ours, but we can't shoot theirs".

·
Registered
410 Posts
Presented here is the illusive .40 S&W/.45 ACP wildcat. I'll bet resizing the cases would be difficult. And no, I wasn't the one that created it!

I also witnessed the same idiot repeatedly attempt to fire a 20 gauge shell in a 12 gauge shotgun "just to see if it would work".

Cylinder Household hardware Auto part Fashion accessory Metal

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Nothing dramatic here but my dad had an old Winchester lever action. We figured it was a 30-30. So we took it out to shoot and couldn’t hit a milk jug at 50 yards. Later we discovered it was a .32WCF. Same case, different bullet. Just like throwing a hot dog down the hall.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts