Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any reviews? I just bought one in 12 ga, 28 inch barrel, Haven't shot it yet, but only bought it as a beater. If I get around to shooting it, it will probably become either my home defense or mybad weather hunting shotgun. The price was too good to pass up for a pump shotgun that fed fine when I ran, without shooting, 50 or so rounds through it.

Thanks ahead for advice.

·
Registered
541 Posts
A good, solid shotgun. Essentially it's Mossberg's 500 with the safety on the trigger housing instead of on the back of the receiver.

Other than the safety and forend, anything made for the 500 will fit this.

The security version (18 1/2" bbl) of the Mav 88 is what I got the shotgun bug from, and would still have it if I didn't sell it to buy a 590.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I intend to use it for bad weather hunting and home defense to get my venerable 1100 special field out of the swamps after years of abuse. I like the safety on the trigger, as I'm a remington guy and it is more natural to me. have there been any problems with the plastic it looks like is used for te trigger guard/lower portions? or is it pretty good to go?

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
The trigger housing on the 500 is poly-resin so I'm guessing they're the same in the Maverick. Never had nor heard of a problem with them. In fact, nice-n-light. That said, the Army puts a metal housing on the 590 they use. But we're probably not subjecting the gun to quite the same conditions.
Alden

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I really like the feel of it, and if the 500's parts will fit, how can it be so bad? after all, I did run a couple boxes of shells through it by hand with no hangups.

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
I didn't like the fact that the foregrip (pump) only had one rail for support.....It wiggled a lot.
Still a good gun for the money......but I let mine go in a trade....

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
i have been looking at one but i think i like the older one a little better .allways did loke a wood stock

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I've got one and I'm going to use it tomorrow. Everything above about 500 parts fitting is correct. I've gone from the fixed choke to a shorter multichoke.

I give it a squirt of light oil into the action parts before I go, I feed it just about anything in 12 bore and I rack the action good and firm.

Good value, takes abuse, wipes down like a ladies black leather knee boot:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts