Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my Dad's model 46M (b) he bought after returning from WWII. I learned to shoot with this rifle when we would go to my Grandpa's farm when I was a kid. I brought it home to clean it up and keep. It was missing the front sight assembly. I found the s-101 front sight assembly at my Dad's house. But it's missing one of the four front sight posts (the one that looks like a little lollipop) and the mounting screw was snapped off at the head. I guess this would explain why the front sight assembly was off to begin with. I detail stripped the rifle and cleaned it well with breakfree. I left it slobbered down in the stuff inside and out to let it do it's magic. Overall the rifle is in surprisingly good condition. Other than a couple of parts, I'll probably just reblue it later. After taking inventory I see that I need either the broken parts to the front sight or the whole assembly. There is another option but I'll get to that in a minute. I need the green "fire" peg, new butt pad and the peep/retaining clip for the s-130 peep sight. Might as well throw in the sling swivels to boot. Well I checked Numrich and naturally everything I need is out of stock. I checked Havlin's and they have everything I need EXCEPT.... the s-101 front sight assembly. I talked with Mr Havlin by phone and he said that I could use the later model MID550 target sight with my rifle.

It looks a bit high to me. Any thoughts on this? The way I see it, I'm left with the option of continuing spending countless hours scouring the internet and going to gun shows, etc. to find the correct s-101 front sight assembly. Or although the 46m (b) is a fine rifle and highly thought of it doesn't really command a price to get really hung up about having to the exact correct parts. I'm really more concerned with having a fine old rifle to shoot and teach my Grandsons to shoot. I believe I'll mount this later front sight for now and look for the correct one at my leisure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I was drooling today on Havlin's website. I planned to get the scope mount later. Being on a tight budget I have to prioritise. And I'm thinking about that OM22 Peep sight too. The s-130 I have has seen a lot of sunsets. The clicks are still there but not as positive. If I'm gonna keep the rifle as a shooter I might as well bring it into the 21st Century I guess.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Gunny, welcome to the Mossberg brotherhood... not as tight as the Corps, but we usually got your back when you need it....

Getting to be quite a few Marines here and on Rimfirecentral with Mossbergitis, guess that was one thing they didn't vaccinate you for...lol

My son is currently an 0802 at Lejeune, just traded in the butter bars for silver this afternoon.... I guess you can tell, we are real proud of him... I guess he's got his head on straight, last time we talked, he said the only thing he needed to make it in the Corps was to be sure that, when in doubt, to listen to his Gunny....OORAH!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gunny, welcome to the Mossberg brotherhood... not as tight as the Corps, but we usually got your back when you need it....

Getting to be quite a few Marines here and on Rimfirecentral with Mossbergitis, guess that was one thing they didn't vaccinate you for...lol

My son is currently an 0802 at Lejeune, just traded in the butter bars for silver this afternoon.... I guess you can tell, we are real proud of him... I guess he's got his head on straight, last time we talked, he said the only thing he needed to make it in the Corps was to be sure that, when in doubt, to listen to his Gunny....OORAH!!
Your Son has already learned the top two rules to get by.

#1. The Gunny is always right.

#2. In case the Gunny is ever wrong, refer to rule #1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts