Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won this little rifle at an auction today. It is a Westernfield Model 47 which was made by Mossberg as their Model 45A. It looks to be in great shape and has a neat scope mounted. I don't know much about this rifle but it spoke to me right out of the auction catalog. Westernfield Model 47 22.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very nice. I have been on a mossberg binge this year too. Now if only my bank account would repair itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gold Bullet member
2,103 Posts
Boy, what a cutie that is! I'd have picked that one up as well. Love the fingergrooves, love that long old scope.
Bet it will be a shooter, too, those old Mossbergs usually are...
Congrats.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,387 Posts
Mossberg 45AS

My father bought this Spiegel Model 45AS just before WW2 in Chicago, came with the scope but the plate
on the pistol grip had been removed or never installed. I understand the production of the 45AS was only
137 rifles ? Any additional information would be appreciated P1010068_0058_058.jpg P1010065_0055_055.jpg P1010066_0056_056.jpg P1010067_0057_057.jpg

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told by the auction house they were preparing to ship my rifle but the holidays are holding things up. I will post more photos when I get it in a few weeks I figure. If they only made 137 of these rifles, I am one lucky dude. chris

·
Gold Bullet member
1,387 Posts
They made 137 rifles with the 45 AS marked barrel, do you have the 45 AS marked barrel ?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't know. I won't receive the rifle for a week or so. The holidays are screwing up the auction house's shipping.

I wasn't thinking. The rifle I have coming is a Westernfield model 47, which is a Mossberg model 45A.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big Brown just dropped this rifle off. Wow, it is really in excellent shape. Optics are nice and clear. I will post photos later today. chris

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also please let us know which scope that is. It looks like a Mossberg #6 mount (Labelled Wards #10?) but the scope looks to be an M4 (something).

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RS, the barrel is marked Wards Western Field, 22 s-l-lr, patiented. I hope to get to the range today to try it out. chris

·
Gold Bullet member
1,387 Posts
Thank you, I have a Number 7 scope that came with my Mossberg 45AS. the rubber eyepiece is gone. There is a place on the pistol grip that has two small
holes to attach a name plate. My Mossberg is quite accurate with CCI Standard Vel ammo Robert

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I shot the rifle today. I need to find some directions on how to adjust the scope. I have not looked yet though. The focus doesn't seem to work too well. Rifle shot good though. I was only shooting at 15 yards because I wanted to zero the scope....chris

·
Gold Bullet member
1,387 Posts
I always bore sight a 22 rim fire with the scope at a short range, works well. May sure the rifle is solid on a
rest either birdseed or sandbag and with care move the scope hairs on a dot on the paper you are using to
sight the bore. Your scope may need cleaning too.

Robert

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read up and I think the adjustment screws were sticking. I was shooting 3 inches low at 15 yards then after trying adjusting for elevation, it went to three inches high. I couldn't get it to adjust back down. I need to take a closer look. I thought the mount needed adjusting but nothing happened when I fiddled with the mount screws. chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts