Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is one for sale nearby and I like the US property marked guns.
I have a couple questions though. This one seems to have mossberg rear peep sighs fitted. Did the gov. order some with peep sights fitted? and second, when were these contracted and delivered? also, what is the going rate for one in good cond. with a ding here and there on the stock?
thanks

·
Silver Bullet member
319 Posts
here is something I saved to my computer on the Mossberg M44 rifles as I have two I purchased from the CMP a few years back.

The M44 rifles were manufactured by Mossberg for the U.S. Military. The rifle has a bull barrel with recessed muzzle; the trigger is not adjustable, the front sight is fixed, and the rear sight is a micro-adjustable peepsight Mossberg S100, Mossberg S133, or Lyman 57 MS. The barrel is "lead-lapped" which is a process that fills in the micro-cracks in the metal producing a very smooth surface with very little variance or imperfections. It is also very labor intensiveand, as a result, expensive. The process is only applied to the most expensive target rifles these days. The rifles from the CMP were manufactured from 1943 to 1949.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mark,

I own a couple of the Mossy 44's that the CMP sold some years back. GREAT little rifles. With decent quality ammo they are quite capable of MOA @ 100 yards.

The only drawbacks to the design are the really sucky trigger and the stock was originally designed as a Youth rifle. The butt was lengthened for adult use on these versions sold to the Army, but they did not change the design of the pistol grip to trigger distance. It's way too short for a good reach to the trigger. My hand almost cramps up trying to control the trigger with that really short reach.

On the up side.... if you know what you are doing you can improve the trigger somewhat with a nice fine India stone.

Around here I occasionally see one for sale. Prices run around $250.

Best,
Swampy

Garands forever

·
Platinum Bullet Member
961 Posts
There is one for sale nearby and I like the US property marked guns.
I have a couple questions though. This one seems to have mossberg rear peep sighs fitted. Did the gov. order some with peep sights fitted? and second, when were these contracted and delivered? also, what is the going rate for one in good cond. with a ding here and there on the stock?
thanks
Here is a link that has some good info.

http://www.cobs.com/lprgc/m44faq.htm

Cass

1 - 4 of 4 Posts