Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fortunate to negotiate a very nice 44 US Property rifle last week (s/n 161677). Today I took it out to my Rancho and did some bench rest 50 yard shooting.

The first issue happened as soon as I tried to chamber the first round, no go. The round hung becasue the magazine was too low even though it seated and latched. I later discovered that the screw securing the angle bar was loose and that changed the position of the angel bar sufficently to move the magazine out of proper alignment causing a failure to chamber. Tightening the angle bar screw fixed the problem.

IMGP1449.jpg

The second issue is not resolved, therefore I need suggestions. The S100 rear sight has no microclick in elevation. The micrometer moves and adjusts the sight vertically but does not lock in place. The vertical post and therefore the sight can be moved up or down about 2mm.

I cannot find an illustrated parts diagram, but suspect a ball and or spring is missing. Any suggestions are welcomed.

The rifle was very accurate but I suspect the sight will not hold the elevation settings.

usa02.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So today I removed the sight and took it apart. That is to say I removed the the elevation adjustment barrel. The small ball bearing is in place as I suspected it might be. The problem is the yoke that holds the barrel has been spring and is too wide, probably from being dropped at some time in the journey to me. This permits backlash in the mechanism, you machinists will understand.

Now I have two choices, other than the recommened purchase of a new sight. I can try squeeze the yoke tighter or shim it so there is no backlash. I will need a few more shots of Jim Beam as I continue to noodle out the issue.

I intend to save this sight and restore its usefulness and accuracy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you. I determined the shim needed is 0.018" to make the system work again. Difficult to machine a 0.018" shim.

I am going to try to squeeze it back to the proper gap. First I will make a metal dowel slightly shorter than the elevation barrel to prevent and immediate disaster for too much squeeze. The barrel is 0.720" and the total gap is 0.750". I am thinking a dowel about 0.700" should be good.

There will be a little elastic response but it should work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is done and clicking. I changed the procedure and used the elevation barrel itself as a guide. I placed the unit between the jaws of one of my machinists vices and tightened it up. This realinged the yoke.

Thanks to both members for their responses. The havlinsales site will certainly be useful in the future.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Good job. I had a couple of CMP 44s. Both were one hole groups at 25 yards with Federal lightening. I had to do a bit of work on the triggers to lighten them up a bit. I gave them to both my nephews when they turned 10 years old. They have been pestering their dad for a long time for a 22. chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts