Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be of some interest here. To start out this gun was for sale at a local Gunshow. I pointed out this flaw and a friend of mine bought it for the good parts on it. This came from the CMP years ago. The owner didn't notice the crack in it. It was her husbands gun so I believe her. She has been selling the guns off little by little for years. (She had an IHC that was all IHC but was shot out.) Thats the little back story of it. I took it out of the receiver to see if the crack went the full length of the barrel. For a 7/8" thick barrel this is a little scary. Has anyone every seen one crack like this. It is all the way through to the rifling.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
48,697 Posts
never seen one crack like that ,
must have been a flaw in the metal,
gotta wonder how it would group.............:?

·
Silver Bullet member
48,878 Posts
Never in a life time hive I seen such an occurance ?

Have they been still shooting it?

·
Registered
672 Posts
That's a new one with me! I think that I would send those pics to Mossberg.

·
Registered
618 Posts
After 56 years of collecting guns ,Can I say "I've seen it all ! " . I once had a NO.1 MK3 Siam trials rifle (Serial No. 92 )with a 5/8TH inch crack at the muzzle ,but never full length like that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it hadn't been shot in a long while. May have never been shot by her husband. She still had them in the CMP boxes they came in. It came with the 75r sight and mag. The CMP hasn't sold them complete for years. It has to be a flaw in the metal to do that. I don't think mossberg will do anything for it. The rest of the gun was parted out since it was unusable. I got this and a few parts I needed from my friend that bought it and he needed a few parts from it as well. The rest will be on an auction site.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've never seen a .22 split at all. Bulge yes, but split, no.

Coincidentally I did have a Mossberg 500 split the muzzle and choke back about 3". This was somewhere in the early to mid 90's I guess Mossberg wanted the barrel back to see why it split. They sent me a new barrel and chokes, but never told me what they found out.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,878 Posts
152 moss my first 22....looked for same in replacenment years?

·
Copper Bullet member
116 Posts
I have 10 of the 144's , all CMP guns bought for kids matches(level playing field !) . Never even imagined a 22 barrel would split - Now I gotta dig 'em all out and check 'em !

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have never seen a split barrel on anything but a shotgun. My son once blew a .22 barrel apart many years ago. I have (for a year or so) a 144 that seems to have a swell in the barrel but not bulged and shoots good. The other 144 a LSB I have had since 1974 or 75 and shot thousands of rounds but no split barrel. Something else to look for now.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I would not have ever thought the barrel on a .22 LR would split like that. Interesting post. Any thoughts on how it could have occurred? Plugged barrel near the muzzle prior to next shot?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With that thick of a barrel a plugged bore should not of caused it. I work at a machine shop so I put the receiver in the lathe barrel end Pointing in. I used a brass rod that fit in the receiver and used the tail stock as a ram to push the old barrel out. The tail stock has a hand wheel that you turn to move it in toward the jaws of the lathe for drilling. The barrel is only pressed in the receiver.

·
Registered
672 Posts
That is strange to me. Looks almost like a freeze break. Maybe the barrel had cryogenic treatment? One hell of a flaw in the steel? Like I stated above, I would send those pics to Mossberg just for informational purposes if nothing else. This is an interesting thread!

·
Silver Bullet member
48,878 Posts
Wire wrap it......and keep on going! Na!
Stress in a plugs I've seen ...all turn to bulges...never a crack ..?
External external purssures seem to be evenly contained in my limited experiences and hands on knowledge.

But a crack...long length seems to indicate unstable grains of steel on both sides of spilt compaired to total barrel composition.
The "subatomic structures running length of crack" letting go for no apparent pressure or evidence of bulges ....hum gives me pause for more thoughts?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Wire wrap it......and keep on going! Na!
Stress in a plugs I've seen ...all turn to bulges...never a crack ..?
External external purssures seem to be evenly contained in my limited experiences and hands on knowledge.

But a crack...long length seems to indicate unstable grains of steel on both sides of spilt compaired to total barrel composition.
The "subatomic structures running length of crack" letting go for no apparent pressure or evidence of bulges ....hum gives me pause for more thoughts?

Now thats a job for JB Weld! No wait....Acraglas

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
In 55 years of shooting guns,I have never seen anything like that. One for the books. Gun steel is FLEXIBLE, it has to be or it would burst or.......crack.
I too would contact Mossberg. They would want to know about this.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,878 Posts
Wonder what would occure if fired again?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts