Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Administrator
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I started seriously collecting many moons ago I instantly gravitated to Mosins because they were plentiful, came in more flavors than Baskin Robbins, and where, for the most part, cheap. I eventually took a liking to PU snipers, and really liked the Hungarian PU’s for there, imho, superior fit & finish.

Well along they way I stumbled into a matching PU sniper with the Hungarian coat of arms, The Kossuth Crest stamped on the receiver and have since been searching hi & low for more to add to the collection.

The Kossuth Crest stamp has a couple of theories which include there use in the 1956 Hungarian Uprising ( doubtful) to a stamp put on Russian weapons loaned to the Hungarians post WW2, sort of a Russian version of Lease/Lend, to possibly some sort of Hungarian refurbishment stamp. What ever it was applied for it is very uncommon, and on 4 PU snipers I am aware of here in the U.S. they are all 1943 Izhevsk PU’s of the same prefix, “BT”. According to long time member Alb87 he had documented ½ a dozen so stamped firearms over in Europe with one being a deactivated Tula PU sniper and another a PPSH41

The stamp has also been observed on both Russian & Hungarian Tokarev pistols in the U.S., but I have yet to secure one of these.

Wood Musical instrument

Wood Trigger Line Office equipment Shotgun

Wood Plant Bottle Natural material Metal

This one is a 45 Izhevsk M44 that I acquired from an infamous Mosin collector about 8 years ago. This was the 2nd one to join my collection and is the only one I am aware of in the U.S. that isn’t a PU. It is a forced matching rifle with a forced match bolt and buttplate (02) and resides in a Hungarian stock.

Publication Natural material Wood Electronic device Font

Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Wood stain Varnish

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Composite material Metal

Wood Tints and shades Font Rectangle Metal

Wood Rectangle Font Metal Fashion accessory

Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Violin family Shotgun

Musical instrument Wood Publication Book Wood stain

· Administrator
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The 3rd one in my collection was a recent acquisition and by far is the most interesting. It is also a 43 Izhevsk PU sniper in a Hungarian PU sniper stock with a Russian hand guard. The butt plate, bolt are Hungarian sniper parts (BC prefix) and the mount is Hungarian with w Russian PU scope. This one too is not import marked.

Wood Publication Material property Cylinder Gas

Tire Wood Bicycle part Gas Automotive tire

Wood Tool Level Household hardware Wood stain

Wood Font Communication Device Rectangle Metal

Musical instrument Wood Shotgun Trigger Wind instrument

Musical instrument Wood Wind instrument Hardwood Natural material

Writing implement Wood Musical instrument accessory Writing instrument accessory Office supplies
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Metal
Cylinder Bicycle part Office supplies Gun accessory Auto part
Trigger Shotgun Air gun Ammunition Typewriter

· Administrator
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Something new constantly. I was thinking crest would be large and obvious.
A small detail to look for. Interesting reading of it's history. Amazing what you gents know!

View attachment 4063973
A bit of a side note, there is a plaque in New Orleans about Louis Kossuth, for who the crest came be. Stumbled across it while taking my Dad, an old 82nd guy, to the WW2 Museum for the 70th D-Day celebration.
Leaf Font Grass Commemorative plaque Rectangle

· Administrator
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

· Administrator
9,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Actually mine isn't a PU but a plain service rifle. I had posted it in this thread: Kossuth crested Ishevsk M.91/30 service rifle from 1943

Addendum: seems interesting those that are non-PU carry the stamp on the receiver whereas the PU rifles have it on the barrel shank.
Thanks for the correction Dave, made the change on the post sir.
Yes on the 91/30's you would be correct, but on my M44 it is on the tip of the Izhevsk arsenal stamp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts