Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the Mosin bug has bitten, and as you all know, the only way to cure it is with more Mosins. I will probably get flamed for saying this, but I love the 91/30's and I skip the Finns/Finn'd Mosins. Just something about the smell and flaking shellac of the 91/30's. I have a very small "collection" compared to most of you guys but here's a few pics of my addiction:
First here's my "display" of some of my Soviet items with rifles:

From left to right: 1930 Tula "Svetlana", 1933 Tula "Natalya" /25\ marked, 1936 Tula "Vanya", 1937 Tula "Zofia", 1938 Izhevsk "Mel", 1943 Izhevsk 91/59 "Anya"

1938 Izhevsk "Tanya"

Three new girls delivered today(sorry crappy pic..cellphone), top to bottom: 1936 Izhevsk, 1932 Tula, 1933 Tula

And here's just a fun pic of Leo with my 1944 cap and M91/59

I LOVE the refurbs! :thumbsup: Happy Mosin Hunting to all!

·
Gold Bullet member
3,077 Posts
Nice start on a collection, thanks for sharing!

PAshutr3

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,762 Posts
Nice start. And with regards to skipping the Finn's - you'll get quite a few more refurb 91/30's for the same price than you would get Finn's.
And for those of us who are into Finn's - well you not being all that interested in them just means less competition for us ... true ? :)
But watch out - once you get totally bitten - you'd better find a book listing Russian names ... the 91/30's have a tendency to multiply pretty quick - to the point where you might run out of names unless you are prepared

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
I haven't gotten around to giving my rifles names yet. That's a bit too personal for me ;)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
dead meat men, once bitten, it spreads like rabbits in a spring meadow. I said it about a hundred rifles or so ago, "there's something different about these gun and I just can't put my finger on it"! You have a great start on what will become a big beautiful thing some day!-SDH

·
Registered
859 Posts
The collecting of Finnish rifles is not a requirement so don't worry. As stated before, they tend to be more pricey so you can expand your collection more easity staying with the Russian versions. I do have some Finn's but lucked into them really. Looks like a nice collection going there. I've been trying to add to my collection recently but the only thing Century has left in stock these past few weeks is the laminate stock versions. Not against laminated stocks but prefer the others myself. Happy collecting!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I was the same way, I'm still not a "Finn collector" but I ended up with about 10 or Finns or at least SA stamped Mosins just because I wanted some variation, and a few of them were at gun shows for prices too good to walk away from. I still don't seek out Finns but sometimes they just find you.

I ended up with 3 M39's just because they are awesome rifles and probably the best a military Mosin rifle could be made to be.

I'll never get into the stuff like the 91/24's etc. just not that deep into Finns to venture into that water.

I'm the same way, I love some 91/30 refurbs, some of the happiest moments I remember when I was a "rookie" at shooting and military rifle collecting were bringing home a "fresh" 91/30 refurb from a local gun shop. With years past I tried to play collector with all other kinds of firearms but I think I'll revisit the cheap thrills of buying a few more refurbs this summer at gun shows. Nothing beats taking a new one to the range for the first time, shooting it and then feeling the satisfaction of seeing a nice group on the 100 yard target like "Oh yeah it's a keeper!"

·
Registered
725 Posts
Refurbs are part of my humble collection too!

I too like the refurbed 91/30's though my Finnish rifles have quite a different "appeal" that need not be part of this thread.

What I do like about the refurbs is the quality of rifle for the price. I have one 1942 dated Ishezsk in a laminated stock I swear is new and it remeins not fired by me. You do see lots of stock variations and that is a big part of the draw for me. That and great fun when they print nice tight groups when the Remchester boys are watching!

Great start to your collection! You may want to find a type of surplus ammo that shoots well and stock up. I have found the Czech silvertip light ball very good fodder.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

Draybo

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Oh yeah keep those refurb 91/30's coming!

If AK prices are going down, hopefully the incoming bolt guns will drop too.

I want to get back to theh days where I would go to a gun show and if I couldn't find any interesting pistols or revolvers I would be like "might as well get another 91/30 then" and just go pick out a non/CB one for $80.

Some more cheap Turk 38's would be nice too!

I have said I was "done" buying rifles but I still can't turn down a $80 M48, Turk M38 or a 91/30. Always room for another "shooter".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts