Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
X sniper would have been a "select" rifle 60 years ago. Yes generally speaking snipers did start out as pick of the litter, but like anything mechanical, age and condition of use may be the bigger factor by now.

·
Administrator
12,070 Posts
"Mosin X"? Is this Malcolm X's personal rifle?:grin:

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,870 Posts
Yes I would expect them to shoot better however it might be just by a small margin and much more dependent on condition then anything else. As stated some 60 years ago they started off as better then your standard M91/30, if all things are equal (same wear over the years on the lesser guns as the snipers) then I'd expect them to still show better accuracy today (on average).

·
Registered
887 Posts
There is a reason they are EX-snipers, their accuracy may have degraded over the years, or as I have heard that they designated many of them to be snipers,and then need more infantry rifles and "ex'ed" them.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,893 Posts
There is a reason they are EX-snipers, their accuracy may have degraded over the years, or as I have heard that they designated many of them to be snipers,and then need more infantry rifles and "ex'ed" them.
They are primarily ex-snipers because of the SVD. US 1903A4's and M1C's are often ex-snipers because of the M-40 and later replacements. Some of any of these are still excellent shooters and some are not. Condition is always a factor.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
my "PU ex-sniper" i restored is an excellent shooter

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
heres proof that my 1943 izhvesk restored pu sniper still shoots good, with the help of my handloads

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,870 Posts
Yes, no, well maybe, Hmm Condition is everything!-SDH
Again all things being equal if it starts off more accurate it should end up more accurate. Any wear on a exsniper can be found on a neversniper (I coined that in this post :) ) if you take a random sampling large enough to satisically make wear the same between the groups I would expect the exsniper group to show better accuracy by a slight margin.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,644 Posts
What they said!

I would expect an ex-sniper to shoot pretty well, but wouldn't be surprised if it didn't, or perhaps I would expect to have to try a variety of ammo to find what it likes. Ammo has a lot to do with how any given Mosin Nagant will group.

On a slightly-related-but-not-really topic, I have noticed that a few ex-snipers I have handled have really horrible trigger pulls. Heavy, long trigger pulls. Maybe just a factor of having been reassembled from parts after having been disassembled.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Some were de-snipered because they were starting to spread, others because they were surplus despite being in excellent condition. Like any standard 91-30, there is huge variation, particularly when you consider their heavy use, or lack of it, as standard grunt rifles after they were neutered. I consider them an interesting type of the standard 91-30 rifles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts