Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a mosin nagant ishevek. 1944 I believe import marked m91/30 all matching numbers, from action/barrel, bottom metal/mag, stock and bolt. It's in fabulous shape. I got it pretty cheap and I'd like to know what you guys feel is a fair value of this rifle. I'll post some pics here shortly, but it's pretty much perfect. I've since added a rubber recoil pad (the kind that takes no modifications) and put the little trigger spring in to take up the slack. I also went ahead and changed the firing pin spring to a stainless unit. I kept all the old parts and it can be changed back very easily so it is completely original and unmolested! My plans are just to shoot it, unless it's worth more than most and I can park it and get another to shoot. Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
463 Posts
yup $79-$99 haha. guns are like cars, just because you put $2000 rims on a car that's worth $500 doesn't make the car worth $2500...

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,609 Posts
Is it an ex-sniper (you don't see that many '44s that aren't)? That might raise the ante a bit. Also, when you say "matching", do you mean scrubbed and force-matched, or original matching (w/prefixes, matching fonts, etc.)? You occasionally run across an unissued or barely-issued '44 in original matching condition, and the right person might pay somewhat of a premium for one of those.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Shoot it, pretty common as you describe unless pics show something different, 100 dollar bill in most places

·
Registered
318 Posts
Is it an ex-sniper (you don't see that many '44s that aren't)? That might raise the ante a bit. Also, when you say "matching", do you mean scrubbed and force-matched, or original matching (w/prefixes, matching fonts, etc.)? You occasionally run across an unissued or barely-issued '44 in original matching condition, and the right person might pay somewhat of a premium for one of those.
Yeah, an original matching one would probably be worth at least 3X the normal refurb price. Pics are a must though.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
$99 before you 'molested' it. (If you have the bayonet, sling, cleaning kit, and ammo pouch.)
I have quite a few like yours (common refurb) that I've tuned to perfection and sighted-in. No hope of breaking even on them, I'm sure.

Shoot it, and get another to shoot too.

Phil

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It appears that all are matched and not a force match, but who know. I noticed that the bottom metal and bolt numbers appear to be the same stamp. I say that because they both have the same angle and depth or lack there of on one side of the stamp. I think it's an exsniper. Pretty sure that was how it was listed. Either way I'm gonna use it. It's dang purty though for a gun that old. I've got for take some pics of the stamps and such before I post any. I was really just curious if it was going to be something I would limit the use/abuse of. The current condition is irrelevant because it's all easily reversed back to original condition. I think I've got 145 in it and I'm very happy with it overall. It's fairly accurate also. Thanks for he info.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,098 Posts
After tax you'd pay about $140 retail at Big Five out here, so you did fine. Open the bolt and look for the screw ends on the inside left side of the receiver, welded over on the outside, to see if it is an ex-sniper. Also, an Izhevsk PU ex-sniper (or sniper) should have a scope number on the left side, perhaps lined out or scrubbed off.

·
Registered
16,969 Posts
$100 if its a plain 1944.
$135 if its an ex sniper
Good rule of thumb from some one deep into these rifles. Good advice
but note that you may pay a bit more if metal condition is really nice or
in some markets that have few gun shows and Mosins don't show up often
in shops to buy. A screen of our sponsors prices will educate you on current
market conditions and value.

A C&R License will let you buy from sponsors (or other board members on trader) direct
and open up more options to buy.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,931 Posts
i predict in 5 or 10 years they will be worth 2 or 3 times what they sell for now. look at m44's and sks's.

·
Registered
16,969 Posts
Taking military surplus rifle supply for granted is how I ended up
not owning a SVT, G42, No4Mk1 T , and the list is longer than I want
to type. Of course, I have been able to make up for my stupidity by
buying the rifle later on at an outrageous price and often in condition far
less than when it was readily available in good nick and economical .

Won't have to regret about Mosins , I saw, snatched and secured what I wanted.

Just ask most Finn collectors: they did not buy early enough and when the choice
was huge .. now they wish they had. Finn imports of Mosins are long dried up.

·
Registered
17,618 Posts
Yea i am kicking my self not to grab the carbines when they were sub 100$... got them now, but i paid more 100$ for em.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
So true... I thought I needed serious, modern guns with my hard-earned bucks and so I passed on lots and lots of interesting historical pieces when they were available.... Missed out on the Irish-contract Fazakerly No.4 Mk.IIs, the MAS 36, the M1917 Eddystone, the "in-the-wrap" Polish M44s, M1 carbines with early features from the Força Expedicionaria Brasileira in WWII, and on and on...

In 1987 I snagged a Finn M91 for about $72 though!

Since rectified the SVT-40 at the "buybuybuy me now!!!" price of 6 franklin notes and scored the MAS36 I shoulda got a long, long time ago for a good deal more than they were going for "back in the day..."

Gotta add that here in Texas Mosin-Nagant 1891/30s are running $140 and up retail... Word's out that the "crummy Russian rifle" can shoot if the user does his part...

·
Registered
16,969 Posts
Gotta add that here in Texas Mosin-Nagant 1891/30s are running $140 and up retail... Word's out that the "crummy Russian rifle" can shoot if the user does his part...
Dave, I will jump on the chance to say this: " Crummy Russian rifle" can shoot if the Crummy User does his part."

Seriously, we all have times we can say "Shoulda , Woulda, Coulda" and lost out. Sadly, if we don't learn to grab what we see now and again repeat past mistakes, we are truly daft. Hopefully we learned the hard way and younger guys reading this will be far smarter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't get pics to upload because they are too big! I never have any luck with these new forums, so I guess I'm out on that part. Oh well. Thanks gentlemen for the replies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts