Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you Mosin nuts out there I figured I would share my latest what the hell why not rifle project.
I started with a round receiver 91/30 made in 1941. Tools used were hacksaw w/ new blade, fine tooth wood saw, files, hammer, drill, rubber mallet, and dremel stone.

Barrel length is now 16.75" not including the flashhider. Don't know how it shoots yet. I expect it to shoot low since the enfield sight sits higher than the Mosin did. Rifle weighs about 7.5 lbs.

Attachments

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
Most definitely the wrong forum.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DCR, The front sight and flashhider are one piece, I only had to add the blade. Getting the flashider on was tricky, spent over an hour with a hand file to get it to fit correctly.
No. 7 jungle carbine, yes it is very rare. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DCR, I bought the FH at gun parts corp. They offer 2 ID sizes, .590 and .670
If you decide to do this then you will need the .670 ID to fit since the barrel is tapered and gets fatter the closer you get to the receiver.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hi Kurff,

I have Vitenam bring back (No papers) that has a Russian submachine gun front sight on it. It was captured in a jungle workshop & sold to a electronics repair contractor that brought it home with his equipment conex. This one has a 1924 hex receiver.

It shoots OK & it was priced right. But it's not something I would do.

Best to all,
point6

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Point6,
Sounds like an interesting rifle, don't think I ever saw anything like you describe. I have a hex 1924 vintage 91/30 w/ no import marks, all matching, and beautiful bore and she is staying just the way she is.

The one I just shortened was cheap with a not great, but serviceable bore. I did this just to see if I could. The range is too sloppy yet to find out how it shoots.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
***Update***
Finally made it to the range yesterday. Used 1955 vintage Bulgarian 182 gr heavy ball. Having no idea where the bullet impact would be I started at 25 yards since the new front sight sits higher than the original. Bullet impact was very low as expected. Windage was dead on. Moved to the 100 yard line, set rear sight on 400 yards and was able to hit 4" clay birds. Need to do some file work on the front sight so I don't have to set the rear sight so high.

One thing I realized is that the sight radius is now only 12" making it difficult to be consistent. Almost like shooting a long barrel handgun at rifle ranges. Overall, I am happy with the mod and surprised it turned out so well considering the basic home tools I used and my limited "gunsmith" skills.

Muzzle blast and noise seems less than my 91/59, not sure why. I suspect the cone shaped flashhider is having some effect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.