Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently acquired a bunch of these little oil bottles and was noticing how many different variations of stamping were used. I picked five out of the pile that are SA marked and was wondering if any of these little guys are more desirable than others. I would guess no, but I thought I'd ask anyway. It also gives me the opportunity to learn the new features of the new boards.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I received this oiler bottle below from Rick Reich as part of the Mosin special. It has the Cyrillic characters for "SCH" and "N" on opposite sides of the face, and it is slathered in dried grease. What is it, and what can I do with it?

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
One day I was looking around in a local antique shop and they had an oiler that looked just like the post-war Soviet model only with Chinese characters. I'm guessing it was for the T-53. They wanted $40 for it, and it was labeled as a flask or something.

·
Copper Bullet member
123 Posts
One day I was looking around in a local antique shop and they had an oiler that looked just like the post-war Soviet model only with Chinese characters. I'm guessing it was for the T-53. They wanted $40 for it, and it was labeled as a flask or something.
Got mine for $1.

·
Silver Bullet member
32,921 Posts
I think the Mosin oilers are kind of neat even though they're not a major focus of mine. There's 4 different types sitting on a bookcase here. I paid $5 for a Chinese double spout. Have several of the Cyrillic marked doubles
Wouldn't mind having one with SA markings.

·
Diamond Member
5,762 Posts
I would like to buy a Chinese oiler for a dollar, but I have never even come across one yet.
Only one Finnish oiler so far. denny

·
Registered
712 Posts
I find the dual oiler bottles to be very convenient for usage with corrosive surplus ammo.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Same here, not a collecting focus, but I still like coming across them. I have about three different types of Finn oilers and three types of Soviet. I'd love to find a Czarist Russian one, though.
Poot

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've recently acquired a bunch of these little oil bottles and was noticing how many different variations of stamping were used. I picked five out of the pile that are SA marked and was wondering if any of these little guys are more desirable than others. I would guess no, but I thought I'd ask anyway. It also gives me the opportunity to learn the new features of the new boards.

I also think the ones with the large SA made into the face if the bottle are more desireable.

As a collector of Mosin accessories, I find them all interesting.

I like the that one that has the large SA stamped on the lid. I haven't seen that particular variation before.

I think I might just make a post showing my oil bottle collection after I get my camera dilema straightened out.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I won a SA marked oil bottle in the first Gunboards Postal Match as a door prize and it is the pride of my small collection.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Wow, nice collection and a great way to display them!
Poot

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I've never paid much attention to them and probaby have 50+ in the storage chest with all the 91/30 bayos (I only use one that I dremeled for an easy fit.) Perhaps I should get a fresh gallon of mineral spirits and give them a good common dunking, as most are just slimed in cosmo and stink. A number seem to still have solvent/oil in them, as well.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It's a Soviet post war two part cleaning solution and oil bottle. I throw them in the closet with the rest.
You probably also throw your Izhevsk 91/30's in the closet with the rest, too. ;) Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of these, so I'm kinda proud of what I DO have...

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,086 Posts
Thanks it's another $2.00 thrift store find. This is what it looks like closed.
Dastardly clever display!! I must copy it now!!

Rather than throw them in a closet, why not take one and flush it out with solvent and put windex with ammonia on the SCH side and Hoppe's on the H side and take it to the range with you?

·
Registered
712 Posts

Rather than throw them in a closet, why not take one and flush it out with solvent and put windex with ammonia on the SCH side and Hoppe's on the H side and take it to the range with you?
Exactly. I also think that's a neat cabinet.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts

Because I only use Hoppes and it comes in a convenient bottle already. I'm a collector and a shooter, but not a re-enactor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts