Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this several years ago and am interested if this is a russian rebuilt or just a complete put together fake. Here are some pictures. The scope has only one number on it and it is blurred out in the picture.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Many replicas from Ukraine were sold by Big Five and others for $499 about 5-10 years back. Most shot very nicely and were quality builds, sold correctly as replicas by the more knowledgeble staff at the Big Five's I visited.

The flat head turret screws on your scope give it away at once, as no real PUs had flat head turret screws and the brand new mount that doesn't match rifle wear is next in line. Tula rifles had the sniper marks of Cn on early ones and CH on later, while Izhevsk snipers have scope numbers on the left and no CH.

Also, of course, any rifle before 1942 with a PU scope is not real as PUs were not issued until late in that year.

(As in art, a replica is a replica if honestly sold as a copy, while it becomes a fake if somebody tries to sell it as real.
Want to buy my genuine, original signed Mona Lisa?)

·
Copper Bullet member
1,890 Posts
Not all the PUs sold by Coles were repros. He sold quite a few nice ones with very nice import marks.
Yes he did. My 1st original PU came from him which ended up have a bad scope. He allowed me to exchange the rifle for a replacement well after his standard return time. So when I was I the market for a clone I went straight to him. Great vendor that is missed.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
Yes he did. My 1st original PU came from him which ended up have a bad scope. He allowed me to exchange the rifle for a replacement well after his standard return time. So when I was I the market for a clone I went straight to him. Great vendor that is missed.
I agree. A fine man who is missed. I got my first 2 PUs from him, first a Tula and later an Izhevsk. Still have them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.