Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to an auction preview in Blacksburg,Va. on Fri. evening. They have several military rifles that have tweeked my interest but there is one especially. They have a Mosin-Nagant sniper advertized ser.#KH2697. Can anyone give me any information about this rifle as far as what to look for,features,orginality and manufactur date and what the KH in the serial number signifys. It sounds to me like a low serial number. Also any guesstimates as far as price ranges would be helpful. Thanks

·
Gold Bullet member
3,084 Posts
Well, theres alot to it but for starters if its an Izhevsk PU sniper a clue to legitamacy would be a scope number stamped on the left side of the barrel shank near the woodline, although sometimes during refurb the old scope number was ground off. If its a Tula PU sniper there should be a CH stamped above the star on the barrel shank. The Soviets used letter prefixes in there serial numbers so this is normal and not specific to snipers, although some snipers were built in specific serial number blocks and will have the same prefix. A legit PU sniper will normally run anywhere from $650 on the low end to a more normal $800 or up depending on year made ect. As I said there is alot of little things that can tell you a sniper is legit or a reproduction. The best thing to do is study the sniper section on the parent site mosinnagant.net or go down to the sniper forum and start reading and looking over photos of legit PU snipers. It took me about a year of reading and researching this site and others to feel comfortable buying a PU sniper and feeling reasonably sure I was getting a real PU sniper. Also if you can preview the rifle and take pics of the barrel markings, scope markings, mount (front/back), and any import marks we could help you more.

PAshutr3

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Hi, BobO.

Honestly, there's too much to cover in a single post. I would suggest looking at www.mosinnagant.net, in the sniper section (as well as the sniper rifle forum on these boards). Lots of useful info there.

The serial number letter prefix is just that. It could be the one hundredth batch of 100,000 rifles built in a particular month. Nobody really knows, for sure. It's also difficult to tell you anything about the rifle from the serial number, alone. You would have to have plenty of detailed pictures to give an accurate assessment. If it's a repro, it's worth about $400. Worth a little more if built on an original sniper rifle. If it's an original import, it's probably worth $700-$1000, depending on a lot of factors. If a bringback or not import marked and all original/matching, it could be worth anywhere from $2500 to many times that. There's just a ton of variables to consider, then what the market will bring on a given day.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

John

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He has pictures up on his site now. Can't really tell much about the Mosin but I'm going tomorrow evening for a preview will try to get some pic's of my own up for an informed op.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
A couple of things to get pics of, would be the arsenal/date markings. The left side of the barrel shank for a possible scope number (chamber area, under the date/arsenal/serial stamps, near the wood line. Don't be confused by a possible importer serial number that may be on the left side of the receiver). The scope, showing the markings and screws in the turret knobs clearly. The mount and the bolt handle, as well. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a picture, or at least a description, of the exact location of any importer markings. The importer and location of the importer stamp (if there is one. It could be on the receiver or the end of the barrel) can sometimes give a clue as to what it may/may not be.

This is just a few things that I can think of, off the top of my head, that are sniper specific. Of course, the usual bore condition, counterbore, matching serial numbers, etc. etc. are important, too.

Best of luck,

John

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
The quickest way to judge a sniper's authenticity is to look at the scope turret screws. If they are flat, then at least the scope is a reproduction, which means the rifle probably is too (although not necessarily). If they are rounded, then the scope is most likely original, and there is a better chance that the rifle is real as well.

Like other have said, identifying an absolutely original sniper is a long process of edumacation, and I'm still not completely satisfied in my own ability to do so everytime.

Keith

·
Diamond Member
777 Posts
I'm a total greenhorn when it comes to snipers, but the pictures seem to show flat turret screws. The rifle itself looks a little too new (recent refurb) as well. You'll definitely want to put your eyes on it as the pictures just don't have the greatest views.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
260 Posts
Flat turret screws and threaded through the mount lens cap, sounds very muck like a Ukrainian built fake sniper. They are good shooters but should not be more than $350-$400... I did a quick scan of all your replies and may have missed this, but if not. If it is a Hex receiver, it is a definite fake sniper. Legit snipers will be round receiver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.