Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. Has anyone tried to collect data regarding Mosin Nagant sling variations?

I'm looking at my Mosin Nagants and the color/ length/ leather/ canvas/ buckle/ stitching variations are off the chart.....:mad:

With so many different countries using the Mosin Nagant in so many different variations, I am sure that the slings would be just as varied.

I'm not talking about "Finn" type rifles, but everyone else; Russia, USA, Poland, Germany, Austria, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Hungary, and China. (did I miss any?) :confused:

I checked Ted's site and coundn't find anything....

Many thanks, ARG

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I havn't heard of anyone collecting data on this maybe you will be the first. With all the different variations out there all I can say is good luck.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,404 Posts
I've tried collating a bit of info from slings in my collection, and those I see on these boards and other Internet sites. Mostly concentrates on the Finnish slings though.

It would be excellent to see some more hard(ish) info on Mosin Slings available to us.

·
Registered
480 Posts
i once tried to do something similar... only information i've been able to gather other than some basic info on different finn slings is that with the dog collar slings green slings are pretty much all post war (some claimed that green canvas slings were used during the war but with all the photos being black and white and no photos of WW2 dated OD green slings it'sbest to assume that green=postwar) and the khaki and brownish slings are wartime or pre-war

then there are the expedient slings which are modelled after the SMG slings and can be used on a wide variety of weapons... most of them have brown or khaki canvas with leather of varied quality and the leather thong ties... i have seen 2 all leather expedient pattern slings attached is a photo of one of them

·
Registered
172 Posts
I believe this is a Romanian M91 sling likely post war on my '36 Tula 91/30.
Brown leather , stitched on the loop end and riveted on the buckle end.
No stamps can be seen.
I have one of these on my '45 M44 as well .

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Hey ARG here's my recent Mosin sling find. It was on a recent import 91/30.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Jimmy, that's a wartime sling. Hard to find..........

Regards, ARG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts