Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

· Registered
1,587 Posts
Oh, MNs may become a bit scarcer in years to come, at least the collectible ones. My dad says that back in the 70s the South American Mausers were so plentiful you could hardly give them away. They are available still but not as much as in the past. I'd say Mosins are far and away the cheapest milsurps on the market these days, and they may not be that way forever. Available, but in smaller quantities, and therefore, a bit pricier.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about the SoAm mausers.........
In the 60's and 70's the milsurp market was awash in South and Central American arms. 7mm mauser ammo sold for $5 per 100. There was a lot of Argentine 7.65mm around, as well as the guns. Prices ranged from $20-$30+. They were suddenly dumping their bolt actions for semi or select fire weapons. These were mostly Mausers, and the numbers were considerably fewer in total than the Mosins. Back then there were some Mosins coming out of Spain and Finland, and maybe even Korea, 91/30's for $15 and M38's for $20. I'm looking at a Sept. 1967 issue of SHOOTING TIMES that I found recently in a box. You could order stuff through the mail back when, with no paperwork. M1 Carbines ran $60. You have to figure that, given inflation, the prices on most, except for the Mosins, are roughly 10 times what they were running back 40 years ago.

· Mr. Flashy Pants
7,372 Posts
I was in J&G yesterday and they have 6 91/30 hex, 2 round, and 4 M-44's. Plus there were a couple at Big 5 and apparently there is a 91 at a local pawn shop. So basically, if someone wants a MN, come to Prescott AZ lol.
That would have been just the showroom floor. I'm sure they have pallets of Mosins in the back.

· Registered
603 Posts
Didn't the Russians make 17,000,000 MN'S?
The Izhevsk plant claims to have made over 11 million rifles during WW II.

The following fact witnesses the unique nature of the plant: as many as 11,3 million rifles and carbines were made for the period of the Second World War, which is more than all German firearm plants taken together (10,3 million). Besides, we mastered the mass production of antitank weapons, aircraft automatic guns, pistols and revolvers. Every day and night IZHMASH used to arm 1 infantry and 1airbourne divisions.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Each Duhnams store has about 2. But they all have M44 stocks.
But if they're like the Dunham's I checked last weekend, they have a Century billboard dot-matrixed into the receivers. Some folks don't mind that, but for me it's a deal-breaker.

Saw some M38s at the Harrisburg show, and some were even in the proper stock. But they were all counterbored, which is something else I don't like.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.