Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In assisting an author with a future book, a question has arisen regarding details of the Pederson Device designed to function in the Mosin Nagant rifle. Remington's Pederson developed a pistol cartridge and semiautomatic device that replaced the bolt in a rifle to provide volume fire in WWI. Examples exist for the US M1903 Springfield and Model 1917 rifle. Vol.2 of Wrobel's "Drei Linien" has two photos of gun writer William Edwards firing a Mosin Nagant with Pederson device.

1. Is there different published source detailing the Mosin Nagant version other than the Edwards photographs? Has someone handled or observed one?

2. What was the method of locking the device into the rifle? The Springfield used the cutoff. The 1917 from pictures (Brophy's "The Springfield 1903 Rifles") seems to lock into the receiver clearance for the bolt root.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Two great questions...I have no answers but perhaps KH will know of other pics available, as he wrote the book you reference.

The Pederson Device is a very interesting and obscure item. A great mind who was a bit late in his thinking, given the semi-autos that came soon after. Kinda like making a better buggy whip as Model Ts were coming off the assembly line. Also the BAR was available at the end of WWI, which certainly eclipsed the PD's effectiveness.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Waaaay back when I was kid around 70' or 71' I read a very good article about the Pederson Device in a Gun Digest or similar publication and it covered the Mosin-Nagant Pederson Device-they even fired a Mosin-Nagant with the device installed. Sorry, that's all I can remember.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
At least one survived as late as the '50s, but I think that no one of these intresting rifle were close observed.

I would like to see at least a close pic of one of these rifles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts