Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Im new.

I need some help about a marking I find in a Mosin Nagant. Could you guys help me? For sure you know more about this than me.

http://i21.tinypic.com/n3ntxt.jpg
http://i23.tinypic.com/2yoagl4.jpg

They are together. They seem to be from one group inside the navy (???).

Do you know something about it?

It´s a 1934 Mosin Nagant from Izhevsk. Could you help me?
Every help will be welcome.

Thank you!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,539 Posts
Those marks are unknown to me. The WW mark almost resembles the Austrian, Wiener Waffen Fabrik from WWI. Unless, the reciever is from a WWI or earlier mosin, it is unlikely that same stamp.

If you can get a clearer picture, maybe it can be posted on 7.62x54r.net as an unknown stamp.

T

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer. I will try to post a clearer photo.

I have been searching about БКА-113, a vessel which was on the battle for berdiansk (it happened on 1943). So, do you think they marked the mosin later (it was made on 1934) and send it to the ship? Could it be?

Dont you know any marking similar to this one?

Thank you for your help!

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,871 Posts
What's the tang date on the rifle?

Poot

·
Gold Bullet member
1,539 Posts
Thats interesting about that possible naval connection.

As far as a 1934 made rifle still being in use and "re-distributed" - certainly. I think the soviets were very industrious with their arms, as evidenced by the fact that they kept all these mosin's around, long after they were technically obsolete. I have a 1933 Izhevsk, for example, that was issued to the Ministry of Defense (MO) in 1943, very likely after its use in other theatres.

Maybe someone can chime in as to whether the soviet navy routinely marked rifles issued to troops aboard ships.

Either way, unique markings like these make the rifle more collectible, IMO.

T

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,871 Posts

Well, that eliminates the Austrian or German WWI possibility at least. I'd love to hear more about this if you get more info. Very, very interesting and thanks for sharing!
Poot

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
It looks like a brand of Frankonia Arms FWW. The other one seems to be the brand for a deactivated rifle, BKA in a diamond.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
IIRC "FRANCONIA " was/is a POST WWll German Company which sold/sells many types of sporting and surplus weapons. If that is true then this would be a 1970s or later MN? In any case it is a neat brand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
According to the book 'The Mosin Nagant Rifle by Terence W Lapin', the w like mark is a Polish technical control or acceptance mark used 1948 to 1965. The others are not listed.What other marks are on it. The marks can tell quite a story. Good luck.
Fred.

·
Gold Bullet Member
14,857 Posts
Searched for a coupla' years what the nesting W's with cross were. Have the marking on the trigger guard of a RC Luger. Joined the GB Luger forum and was told, that it is the marking of a German sporting goods company, Waffen Frankonia. KH is correct, that's what it is. Neat mark.

LB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts