Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,768 Posts
Quote from above: "When the US pulled its troops out of Russia in 1920 all remaining M-91 rifles that they had brought with them were abandoned and recovered by advancing Bolshevik forces."

I have grave difficulty believing that any U.S.unit (in particular the Michigan National Guard) conducting an orderly withdrawal from Russia boarded ship without its rifles. I would like to know what authority exists for that statement.

M

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you don't have one yet, pick up a M39, an "Antique" status one if you can.

The bolt on mine has parts from Sestroryetsk, New England Westinghouse, and Remington. Fascinating history...when I take that bolt out and clean it, I think about that bolt body and head traveling from America to Russia before the Civil War with the "contract" rifles, winding up in Finland, and then finding their way back to America in my M39...

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I have grave difficulty believing that any U.S.unit (in particular the Michigan National Guard) conducting an orderly withdrawal from Russia boarded ship without its rifles.
I can see something like that happening, for one thing these rifles were not standard issued rifles so why even take them back? it isn't like they would have to go back into the inventory to be re-issued.

Besides that, it wasn't just Americans there, there were british, japanese, and some other counties that sent forces there as part of that "expedition"

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,786 Posts
Seano, if my history lessons were correct, the Civil War (a misnomer of the War of Northern Aggression) ended in 1865. How then, did Mosin Nagant parts get manufactured 26 years before the rifle was adopted? Or were you referring to the Bolshevik revolution?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Seano, if my history lessons were correct, the Civil War (a misnomer of the War of Northern Aggression) ended in 1865. How then, did Mosin Nagant parts get manufactured 26 years before the rifle was adopted? Or were you referring to the Bolshevik revolution?
I'm referring to the Russian Civil War, of course. It took place after the Russian Revolution of 1917, from roughly 1918 to 1920. So successful were the Bolsheviks in re-writing history, that many people are unaware of all of the various factions involved, nor of the total lack of widespread support for the Bolsheviks themselves. Personally, I want to learn more about such factions as the Ukrainian Green Army, and the anarchist Black Army...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've always mused about this rifle being one that was left behind by US troops. Not likely but it makes it more interesting to think about. Certainly been around the block.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I remember seeing a 60 minutes story interviewing the worlds largest arm merchant. He mentioned that the US left enough arms behind in Vietnam to equip the 5th largest army in the world. This was several years ago.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
I've always mused about this rifle being one that was left behind by US troops. Not likely but it makes it more interesting to think about. Certainly been around the block.
That's a Balkan made stock. Even the rear half looks like beech and the style of the finger grooves looks like other Balkan stocks I've seen.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
The reason I referred to it as "Balkan" rather than "Romanian" is because there's been some discussion here in the past on exactly who made these stocks and who used them. Certainly some of them were at least used by Romania as evident by the marks which yours has, but some knowledgeable collectors questioned whether it was strictly Romanian production and use. The splice pattern is also identical to that found on Romanian M91/30s. Since Romania, at least in part, is usually included in the term "Balkans" I feel that it's a safe bet to call them "Balkan" stocks and not be so specific.

Here are pictures of my two, which I do refer to as "Romanian stocks" on my site. :D http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareRomStock.htm

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
Here's the Westinghouse bolt with US Army flaming bomb stamp that is in one of my Finnish B barrel 91's. It was re-numbered to match by the Finns.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts