Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M91 is stamped with the date 1916 but there are no serial numbers anywhere on the gun. Others I have seen all have serial numbers. There are no machining marks to indicate mechanical removal of identifying marks. Any clue as to the absence of serial numbers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have no camera to do photos. Will try to be more descriptive of the rifle if that would be helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is an "employee" build. Sorry, no camera to do pictures. Will try to give more details on request regarding markings on the rifle. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
427 Posts
From what I have read here, the "employee" builds as I would call it is when the armory closed there were still parts laying around so rifles were built on unfinished parts so to say. Maybe a better description would be unissued arsenal rifles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes sense. Thanks for the info. Have no idea how this rifle ended up with my grandfather. He was born in KY., lived post war in Cincinnati, Ohio.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Might be a spare barrel or a reject that never got serialed.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,439 Posts
"I built it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime.............." Oh ya that wasn't Johnny Cash that was Bannerman! Cheers, John.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts