Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I need your help. I need to know if this Mosin deal is a good buy or not.
I can get this for $200. Is it worth it.
Do you think this is a REAL ex-sniper rifle?
No bayonet, did the sniper ones come with bayonets?
What about the counter-bore, how Bad is that?
Here is the listing copy and pasted:
"
Very good condition WWII Russian 91/30 Mosin Nagant rifle in 7.62 X 54 that has an Izhevsk Arsenal marking on the barrel and dated 1935. At some point this rifle had a PE or PEM scope mount installed on the receiver, unsure if this is WWII period or postwar done. Bolt has correct turned down handle, again unsure if this is original WWII manufactured or postwar converted. Rifle has all matching serial numbers including barrel, bolt, triggerguard, and buttplate. Metal finish is arsenal blue with a little scattered gray, mostly near the muzzle. Bore is average good with a little gray and has been counter bored. Stock has arsenal varnish finish with some handling marks. Gun is complete with correct original cleaning rod and sling. This classic Mosin Nagant sniper rifle will make an outstanding display piece or shooter when completed with your scope."

Thanks ahead of times, any input would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Registered
17,618 Posts
Avoid Avoid Avoid

1. Shouldnt be counterbored if it was a true sniper and if you are buying it make it into a sniper.. there are better examples out there.

2. Drilled right through the Import stamp.. i smell bubba

3. Any one can put a turn down bolt on a Mosin Nagant and drills some holes through the reciever and call it a "ex-sniper"

I dont have a good feeling on that one. Looks like a typical post war refurb that some one trying to doll up and make 100$ more than they should.

AVOID

EDIT...

old thread corrected in the sniper forum post but not here

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Wouldn't a 100 dollars more be breaking even? Maybe even taking a loss?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wait he drilled and tapped both ends of the reciever... BUBBA!!! AVOID
What do you mean by this?

As far as the rifle. Definitely looks like someone did it. it is illegal as far as I know to deface the import marks because that is what the ATF uses to track the firearm and not the original arsenal stampings. You can avoid this on a hex receiver but not on a round receiver and it looks like they drilled right through it. if it is not illegal and I am wrong, I think it is a good deal as long as the mount is done right and not canted badly. if you are making a repro you are a couple steps ahead. I don't mind counter bored rifles as most I shoot are as or more accurate then rifles with the original crown. So for a repro shooter, there is nothing wrong with a counter bore. If this is strictly for collecting I would avoid, but good luck finding an original PE sniper. Good luck!

Cheers,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts